Desktop Tools Install Windows Error 1406

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by kevinw, Nov 23, 2008.

1. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

Well I spent about 5 hours on the phone with Victor (somewhere in Central Europe) who is a Parallels Tech Support Engineer today trying to get Parallel Tools to install, which I believe is the cause of a significant part of my problems in getting PD 4.0 to run. I am running the new build (3540) .

Unfortunately nothing we did could help the problem. We un-installed and re-installed just about everything. Tools, Parallels itself, still no luck.

What is happening is that Parallel Tools appears that it is going to successfully install but when it gets to the "Updating Component Registry" part followed by the "Copying Files" and finally "Writing System Registry Values" it fails. And when it fails I get the following Windows Error message:

"Error 1406. Could not write value Parallels Shared Internet Applications to key
    \Software\Microsoft \Windows\Current Version\Run.Verify that you have sufficient access to that key,
    or contact your support personnel."

Well I've investigated all I can. I have the correct version of Windows Installer for XP (2.0) which could have been an issue. I have checked all of the permissions for my user account (actually there is only one user on this XP/VM) and it has all the permissions you could have. However it did say in one online piece about this type of error that if the installation program is written incorrectly this could also cause the error. So at this point I'm going to hang my hat on that's the problem. Hopefully someone at Parallels will be taking a look at that.

anyone else with Error 1406?

2. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hello, kevinw,

Let us try to investigate it. For this purpose, please, start Parallels Tools installation, wait until the error message appears and click on Help (in Parallels Desktop menu) -> Report a problem. Provide us with the report number, please.
    If you have spoken with Support, you have probably done that. Then only number is required.

Meanwhile, be kind (I understand, that you have checked everything possible, still I see no mention about it here) make sure, that all the security programs are removed (not even switched off, but removed) priory to Parallels Tools installation.

Thank you.

3. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

Data

I've already done this (ticket 14783) and after your software engineer spent well in excess of 5 hours on the phone without a clue as to what caused it. I waiting until you guys get all the bugs out. I liek the product when it' working but your upgrades and now version changes a a killer.

4. robertdbrowniii

robertdbrowniii Junior Member

Tools Not Installing

I also installed the new build (3540). The install went fine. Then the install detected that Tools needed to be updated, so it began the download. After the download was complete, I was given a message that the Tools download was corrupt. The install then terminated, and no error number was given. Oddly enough, the behavior of Parallels seems to be normal, but I would feel more comfortable with an error-message-free install.

Rob
    17" MacBook Pro
    2.16 GHz Intel core Duo
    2 GB 667 HHz DDR2 SDRAM
    OS X 10.5.5
    Parallels 4.0.3540

5. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

Some of the issues that the "error message" caused because by first appearances my install also looked fine but were:

1. I could not get rid of the Windows task bar in Coherence Mode (it always ended up at the bottom as a thin blue line)
    2. I could not get Windows Icons Applications to show (stay) in the Apple Dock
    3. I could not get the start screen to pop up in coherence mode by double clicking on the Parallels Icon in the apple Dock
    4. On the Parallels Menu at the stop of the screen most items under "Applications" where grayed out.

6. robertdbrowniii

I had trouble installing the original upgrade from 3 to 4. It had to do with the Manual Install that it required. The first time I tried it, I accidentally clicked to install the peripheral drivers. So I reinstalled and clicked Cancel when I was asked to install them again during the next Manual Install. The last install worked fine. It's this next upgrade that gives me a problem. It still tells me that the Tool install is corrupted, but Parallels seems to operate ok.

7. vitalb

vitalb Parallels Developers

Rob, could you send report (Help->Repor a Problem) at the Tool install corrupting moment? And write here problem ID number, please.
    You had described Tools install problem when new version was autodetected. Have you the same problem when you initiate installation via menu (Virtual Machine->Install Parallels Tools)?

8. robertdbrowniii

Tools still will not update, problems reported

vitalb,

I submitted report id 17032 after an automatic install of Tools reported an corrupted file. Then I submitted reported report id 17034 after I manually tried to update Tools from Virtual Machine/Update Tools and received a corrupt file message again.

9. sergk

sergk Parallels Developers

Rob, please give us next info:

1) Content of /Library/Parallels/Tools directory (you can take output of 'ls -la' command).
    2) Full size of prl-tools-win.tar.gz file in bytes (you can get this info via Finder menu 'File->Get Info').

10. robertdbrowniii

For 1)
    drwxrwxr-x 10 root admin 340 Nov 25 01:57 .
    drwxr-xr-x 12 root wheel 408 Nov 25 01:57 ..
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 root admin 1474560 Nov 21 21:24 drivers.fdd
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 root admin 18612224 Nov 21 21:24 prl-tools-lin.iso
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root admin 9078523 Nov 25 01:57 prl-tools-lin.tar.gz
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 root admin 23183360 Nov 21 21:24 prl-tools-mac.iso
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 root admin 1474560 Nov 21 21:24 prl-tools-os2.fdd
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 root admin 2834432 Nov 21 21:24 prl-tools-other.iso
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 root admin 80504832 Nov 21 21:24 prl-tools-win.iso
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root admin 75258415 Nov 25 01:56 prl-tools-win.tar.gz

For 2)
    size of prl-tools-win.tar.gz is 75258415 bytes.

11. sergk

sergk Parallels Developers

Rob, you can start Parallels Tools installation manually:

1) Connect iso-image with guest win tools
    - select 'Devices->CD/DVD-ROM->Connect Image...'
    - select '/Library/Parallels/Tools/prl-tools-win.iso' in dialog
    2) Wait for completion of Parallels Tools installation procedure
    3) Reboot guest

After this you will have actual Parallels Tools installed in your guest OS.

Then try 'Virtual Machine->Reinstall Parallels Tools' again. Will error appear again?

12. robertdbrowniii

This worked. Also, I had to expand the size of the virtual hard drive. Apparently Parallels didn't think I had enough memory to install the Tools. It could be that the original "corrupt" message was given because of this.