Differences between Parallels and VMWare

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by rydogg1, Apr 11, 2006.

1. rydogg1

rydogg1 Bit poster

Any side by side comparisons of Parallels and VMWare? I'm curious to know the advantage to using this product as opposed to VMWare Workstation/Server

Thanks!

2. Tamas

Tamas Bit poster

Host system difference

Hi,
    One difference that really got me is the host system. With the free VMWare Server, you need to have Win2k or Win2003 as host. With Parallels, you can go with WinXP as I understood. I have that license, so it seems easier for me to get to the virtualization. On the other hand I will have to pay for the Parallels license.
    Tamas

3. PCMacGuy

PCMacGuy Junior Member

I have VMware Workstation. When installing it, it has to patch the kernel of the host (Windows) OS. It has been very stable for me. Just not really fast (I have it running on a 64 bit Dual Pentium D 2GH system with 4 GB RAM.) Not as speedy as with Parallels the iMac. Sound, video all work very well in VMware. There are no problems with the CD DVD not being accessible to the VM. In VMware the first booted system has control of the CD ROM and won't release it until it has been closed down.

In VMware you can suspend a system and quit the program then fire it back up and then start the machine right backup. Tried this in Parallels and the Machine rebooted itself. But Parallels hasn't been around near as long as VMware.