Difficulty in moving VM to external drive

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ClunkClunk, Jan 19, 2007.

1. ClunkClunk

ClunkClunk Junior Member

I'm using Parallels RC1 3120. I had a VM with XP on it on my internal drive, in the default ~/Documents/Parallels folder. When I would launch Parallels.app, my VM would show up to the configuration page, allowing me to resume or start it, or edit the VM. Exactly how I would expect Parallels to act.

I needed to free up some space on my internet HD, so I decided to move my VM to one of my externals. I copied the entire ~/Documents/Parallels folder to my external, and used Parallel's preferences to change the default folder to my external's new Parallels folder.

Now, whenever I launch Parallels.app, my VM does not show up. I get the OS Installation Assistant. If I click "cancel" instead of leaving the program open, how Mac applications should act, Parallels quits. I don't want to continue with the install, because I already have a functioning VM. I can't even choose "Open" from the File menu, because they're all greyed out, since the OS Installation Assistant is taking over control.

I can, however, launch my VM by manually navigating to it via the Finder, and launching my .pvs file. The downside with this, is that my VM automatically resumes or starts, without giving me the option to choose what I want to do, like configure the VM, or stop it. The other issue is that when I suspend or shut down my VM, Parallels.app automatically quits, without allowing me to make any changes, or launch any other VMs.

How can I return my VM to operating like it did before? At previous times, I've been presented with a list of installed VMs when launching Parallels.app (though right now I only have one), and that was also useful.

As much as I appreciate the changes and enhancements that Parallels has seen over the last few months, I feel as though it's straying further and further away from adhering to standard Apple application user interfaces, like being able to keep the application open without any active windows, or the help files actually being up to date, and relevant to the error messages you might receive. It's feeling more and more like a Windows <gasp> application than a Mac one. Parallels has so much functionality, it's just really lacking in the spit & polish department.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer :)