Direct X 12 - any update on when Parallels will support it?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by SWANDY, Jan 19, 2023.

1. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

Like the title says, any update on when (or if) Parallels will have support for Direct X 12? I am running Parallels 18.1.1 and Windows 11 PRO with the newest updates and it still appears that games that require Direct X 12 still won't work with an error message about the display.
    Thanks.

2. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

Thanks Mike. Hopefully you are right. (Assuming that Microsoft and game companies aren't using Direct X 13 by then......)

3. WilliamT14

WilliamT14 Member

For a long time after the release of DirectX12, you still saw a large number of games that were DirectX11 or had a fall back settling for those. I suspect DirectX13 will have new hardware ALU requirements that will encourage game developers to have a fall back to DirectX12.

4. AleksandrB5

AleksandrB5 Bit poster

Waiting for news about this in light of WWDC and DX12 virtualization in the new MacOS.

SWANDY likes this.
  5. DavidG84

DavidG84 Bit poster

Looking at the knowledgebase articles, we may see a new release of Parallels Desktop any day now. The lifecycle KB mentions that email support for 17 stops Aug 10, 2023, or tomorrow.

6. DavidG84

DavidG84 Bit poster

7. WilliamT14

WilliamT14 Member

Most if not all of the DirectX12 examples on macOS have been in relation to macOS Sonoma beta and the Apple Game Porting Toolkit. https://developer.apple.com/forums/tags/game-porting-toolkit
    Regrettably, while Apple was willing to use the opensource code for the GPT, Apple did not release their Metal to DirectX12 code back to the opensource community. The result is that developers need to do the heavy lifting still to get DirectX12 working. Apple also doesn't want Windows games from GPT to be released as final products, the goal is to show what is possible to encourage "native" Metal game and application development. Maybe more details will be forthcoming post macOS Sonoma?

8. WilliamT14

WilliamT14 Member

CrossOver has very limited support, like two specific games support. I suspect that this will improve with macOS Sonoma, as the Apple GPTK requires that beta to get more DirectX12 support.
    I'm sure Parallels will get there, but I don't know when anyone can give you an ETA that might not be under some kinda NDA.

9. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

That was the impression I got during my "chatting" with their support. Disappointing but would rather stick with Parallels than switch to CrossOver - which did have issues with an older Windows program that I need more than DirectX 12 games.

10. RomanW2

RomanW2 Bit poster

Mortal Kombat 1 doesnt. Im guessing exactly because of the DX12 reason. Would be nice to have it work sometime...I have a BUNCH of AAA games that work fine with Parallels 18, Windows 11 and Steam. Cyberpunk, Star Wars, Farcry 6, AC Valhalla, etc. They all work.

11. LambdaC

LambdaC Bit poster

Anyone know if UE5 runs on it? I tried last year and UE4 did work but UE5 didnt.

12. mbernste

mbernste Bit poster

I'm running Parallels 19 and DirectX12 is supported. Why is everyone saying that it isn't? Screenshot 2023-09-22 at 4.30.06 PM.png

iciconnect and JessieM1 like this.
  13. iciconnect

iciconnect Member

I previously mentioned this information in a related post titled "Hogwarts Legacy Failed to Initialize DirectX 12 Error". It has been reported by some users that Parallels has indicated that DirectX 12 is not currently supported in Parallels 19. However, I have not been able to locate any official statements from Parallels confirming this.

14. LorinT

LorinT Bit poster

I get the same System Info showing DirectX 12, but Talos Principle 2 won't run: "DirectX 12 is not supported on your system"

15. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

I just got an M3 iMac to replace my M1 and everything in Parallels 19/Windows 11 runs as expected. I have not tried reinstalling Diablo II Resurrected because even though Diablo Immortal runs great I assume that Diablo II Resurrected won't because of the Direct X 12 issue.

16. iciconnect

iciconnect Member

The user's text suggests that while DirectX 12 is enabled on their Windows 11 Pro system, DirectX 12 Ultimate is not. This could be due to the fact that Microsoft developers may not have included support for Intel's or Apple's Accelerated Processing Units (APUs). In contrast, AMD APUs, depending on the processor, can take advantage of DirectX 12 Ultimate. The error message received by the user is likely related to this lack of support for DirectX 12 Ultimate.

Attached Files:

17. iciconnect

iciconnect Member

The deactivation of DirectX 12 Ultimate is a potential issue. Additionally, the Display Memory (VRAM) on Parallels 19 on Windows 11 Pro is reported as 0 MB, which could be a significant concern. This situation requires further investigation to determine the root cause and potential solutions. This points to Microsoft's developers not really Parallels'.

Attached Files:

18. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

Interesting because whenever I have checked dxdiag, I am pretty sure I have never seen "Direct X Ultimate", only "Direct X" and it lists Direct X 12

19. iciconnect

iciconnect Member

It's there, you just need to click next or select the tab(s).

Attached Files:

20. iciconnect

iciconnect Member

Upon reflection, several inconsistencies have been identified in the DirectX Diagnostic Tool. Notably, the system appears to be operating on DirectX 11 drivers, contrary to the anticipated use of DirectX 12 for the Direct3D DDI. As mentioned previously, the Display Memory (VRAM) consistently reports 0 MB, and DirectX 12 Ultimate remains inactive, corroborating the lack of full utilization of DirectX 12.

This situation presents three significant points of concern:
    1. Will Microsoft extend support for DirectX 12 and subsequent versions to Apple's ARM and Intel's API, as has been done for AMD's API?
    2. Is it feasible that Microsoft might prioritize Qualcomm's X Elite processors over continued support for Apple's Silicon, thereby exclusively accepting Qualcomm ARM?
    3. Once Qualcomm's X Elite processors become more prevalent in PCs, will Microsoft cease prioritizing support for Parallels?
    These questions highlight the complexities involved in the evolving landscape of system configuration and compatibility.

Attached Files: