DirectX problems with Microstation V8 XM

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ebg, Nov 14, 2008.

1. ebg

ebg Bit poster

I just upgraded to Parallels 4 because it supports directx 9c however I am having problems running Microstation V8 XM in a Windows XP Pro VM. The screen gets scrambled up and blanks out in areas within the software after it loads.

The only way I have found to allow the software to function somewhat properly is to notch down the hardware acceleration slider (located under Windows XP display properties -> settings tab -> advanced -> troubleshoot tab) disabling all directdraw and direct3d accelerations. Unfortunately when I do this I also get mouse pointer artifacts from the mac side showing in the middle of the VM screen, and other functions like expose stop working if trying to invoke from within the VM.

I am using a 2.6GHz Core 2 Duo 17" Macbook pro, Invidia GeForce 8600m GT, and 4gigs of ram with a Windows XP Pro VM that was upgraded from Parallels 3. The hardware setting values are default within the Parallels VM configuration (I believe splitting everything in half from processor to ram to graphics). FYI- The software functions flawlessly when used through a bootcamp only installation without parallels. Also, I had similar problems in Parallels 3, hence the upgrade.

Does anyone have any experience with the proper setup for use with Microstation and/or any other software programs that rely on DirectX 9c?

I would be disappointed about my sunk funds if Parallels advertises Directx 9c operability when/if it does not function as advertised. Hopefully there is an easy fix that I am missing.

Many thanks.

2. mattday

mattday Bit poster

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

3. mattday

mattday Bit poster

I have just tried microstation on vm fusion with windows vista, and noticed problems with the text not in focus until you zoom in, this is the only annoying function I have come across so far. I am trying parallels 4.0 in the next couple of days with directx9c and using windows xp. I will let you know how I go.

you can e-mail me if you like

info@daybukharchitects.com

regards

matt day

4. Anna Pichueva

Anna Pichueva Parallels Team

Hi ebg,

could you please specify where have you downloaded directX from?