Disable mapping CMD key to WIN key

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DerekG1, Feb 13, 2018.

1. DerekG1

DerekG1 Bit poster

Allow the ability the modify/sever the mapping of CMD to WIN so that trying to use basic shortcuts like CMD+C, CMD+F, CMD+TAB, CMD+V, CMD+Z, CMD+X, etc. also sometimes trigger other Window functions, like Active Directory or the Start Menu.

Right now, CMD+C randomly also triggers Window's built-in color filter (apparently mapped to CNTL-WIN-C in Windows) and it's very frustrating to have to continually disable it just to copy text.

Allow for WIN inputs to be disabled or mapped to something else entirely.

2. alev

alev Parallels Team

Hi DerekG1,

You can make a shortcut redirection CMD > Ctrl, so CMD will not work as Win key.

As for "CMD+C randomly also triggers Window's built-in color filter (apparently mapped to CNTL-WIN-C in Windows) and it's very frustrating to have to continually disable it just to copy text." - it is likely to disabled in Windows 1803, at least it is no longer the case with latest Windows Insider Preview.
    Parallels Team also works on the issue.

3. DerekG1

DerekG1 Bit poster

CMD is already mapped to CTRL to preserve basic continuity for stuff like CMD+C and CMD+V.

The problem is that CMD is also mapped to WIN and that's the connection I want to server. I don't want to activate the color filter randomly when I'm trying to copy lots of stuff quickly, nor do I want Active Directory to pop up when I'm trying to search a document, or for the Start menu to pop up when I'm using keyboard shortcuts to pop through Mac programs - or when I've just started a command and decided not to.

CMD having any link to WIN is super-annoying for me, since I don't use any WIN-based keyboard shortcuts (or ever really known anyone who does).

4. alev

alev Parallels Team

Thank you Derek,

Color filter issue is fixed in the update we released today. Please try it http://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd13 or via in-product updater.
    It looks like Microsoft is going to make filters shortcut optional and not enabled by default in their Windows 10 1803 release.

As for other issue - this setup disables any side effects with CMD->WIN redirect. If it doesn't for you, please let me know. I want to figure it out.
    [​IMG]

5. DerekG1

DerekG1 Bit poster

Awesome news on all counts. Thanks for the additional detail! I've updated and added the shortcut, so hopefully my WIN key woes are in the past now.

Thanks again!

6. Postarek

Postarek Bit poster

Just what I needed! Thank you!

7. trinchn

trinchn Bit poster

1. Start the registry editor (regedt32.exe)
    2. Move to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout
    3. From the Edit menu select New - Binary Value
    4. Enter a name of "Scancode Map" and press enter
    5. Double click on the new value and set to
      0000 0000 0000 0000 0300 0000 0000 5BE0 0000 5CE0 0000 0000 Do not type the spaces, I only include them only to help you view the data
    6. Click OK
    7. Close the registry editor and reboot the machine

8. trinchn

trinchn Bit poster

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2020