Disable Quicklook in Windows

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by AlanF2, Nov 2, 2015.

1. AlanF2

AlanF2 Bit poster

Hello,
    I'm running Parallels 11 with Windows 10, and I'm trying to figure out how to disable the Mac OS "quick look" when I'm working in Windows full-screen. Specifically, I want to be able to type the name of a file including spaces in the windows explorer without quick look getting in the way and stopping me from navigating to my file of choice.

Anyone know how to do this?

2. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi Alan,
    In order to remove the Mac look on the Windows 10 virtual machine, please follow the steps below:
    1. Start the virtual machine.
    2. Open Control Panel
    3. Uninstall a Program.
    4. Locate and Remove the application Startdock
    Restart the virtual machine and check how it goes.

3. AlanF2

AlanF2 Bit poster

Thanks, it worked like a charm.

4. MichaelG7

MichaelG7 Bit poster

Dhruba, I also need to disable the spacebar shortcut for Quick Look.

I don't see an application named Startdock in the Programs and Features uninstall list, nor anything like it in Task Manager. I do see several Parallels tasks in Task Manager in the Processes and Details tabs, but nothing like this. Can you advise on another way to disable the spacebar hotkey or disable Quick Look entirely?

Quick Look seems like a great feature to have available, but taking over the spacebar for it is a big mistake. I realized it's the same shortcut as used in OSX, but the problem is that the spacebar already has a meaning in Windows.

Besides the filenames with spaces that Alan mentioned, spacebar is also used in all Windows listboxes (including the file lists in Explorer) to select the item that has the focus (dotted rectangle) or the topmost item in the list when no item has the focus.

I use the spacebar nearly every time I navigate through directories in Explorer, and Quick Look is really getting in my way. Parallels should remove the spacebar hotkey and use another non-conflicting hotkey in its place, or provide a settings option to change it. In the meantime, if there's any way I can disable it for myself that would be great.

Many thanks,

-Mike

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  5. DanielS14

DanielS14 Bit poster

Is there a solution for this today? Mine has just recently started doing this for some reason. It's really annoying. I can't find a way to turn it off in OSX, nor filter the keys through the parallels configuration.

6. YograjS

YograjS Bit poster

I do the exact same thing as DanielS14, ie browse through windows explorer by typing to get to my desired file or folder quicker. This fix worked perfectly.
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/124241