Disk Full Problem Driving Me Crazy

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Paul J.B, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Paul J.B

Paul J.B Bit poster

Good Day Everyone!
    I've got a sudden problem with Parallels Version 3 that I can't seem to solve. If you folks don't mind helping me out, I'd sure appreciate it.
    I have a "Volume" on my computer (Intel MacBook Pro running OS X 10.4.11) with only OS X, Windows XP Professional, Windows 98SE & MS Dos 6.22. I call it my "Fallout Shelter"

Today I was using XP & life was good. I shut down normally. Later, I wanted to go back to XP & got the error message that the host hard drive was full. (It isn't). I tired dumping about everything on the hard drive to free up space. No luck. I tired Compacting & Compressing, but Windows has to be running- So I was out of luck. I tried Image Tool to expand my HDD (It is expanding). It asked for an enormous amount of hard drive space to run. The space it asked for is larger that the entire volume.

I know the hard drive free space is the same as it was this morning (actually, now it is less as I dumped a bunch of stuff trying to fix this problem). I keep an eye on it with each start. I am not conected to the internet with Windows (or at all on that partition) so I know nothing snuck in on me.

Do any of you know how to get Windows XP to start? I tried dumping the Parallels plist & imagetool.plist Is there something I missed?

I sure appreciate any ideas. I'd hate to erase Windows & start over (or would I be dumping Parallels & starting over?)
    Thanks Very Much!
    Paul

2. sherill

sherill Bit poster

Since you are using both Mac and Windows operating system so You must run the disk utility to find out file corruption or inaccessibility issue. Moreover for Windows OS it can be due fatal registry file corruption showing disk memory full. It is necessary to repair registry file and the utility that can help you is reimage repair software.

3. Paul J.B

Paul J.B Bit poster

Thank you for your help & ideas Sherill!
    This is a goofy problem-

Disk Utility and Onyx could not find any problem. Neither could Smart Utility. Windows won't start, so I can't get to the registry. I was still locked into a wrong 'free space' amount. It showed 560 mb & I could not move in a 4kb file without the disk full message. I was thinking it was something with OS X, not Windows or Parallels.

But, when I removed the Windows XP hdd image from the volume, restarted the computer and ran Disk Utility to repair permissions & verify the disk (then repeated with Onyx, which found more permissions to repair) all of a sudden I had the proper amount of free space on the volume. I tested by moving files in & out of the volume, watching the free space amount change up & down. It was 1.3 gb.

I put Windows .hdd back. Still no problems- The free space would move up & down & show the correct amount as I moved files in & out.

I tired to use a Parallels snapshot, but none would 'revert'. Don't know why- that's a problem to address later I suppose.

As soon as I tried to start XP & the problem returned & I got the error message that there was no free space. Windows would not start. (It was a Parallels message, not Windows) . I removed the hdd image & the problem remained until I re-ran Disk Utility & Onyx.

I put the hdd image back & tried to start XP- Same Disk Full message. Yikes!

Since I can't open Windows XP, I'm not sure what my next step is. I can't imagine that Windows could get anywhere near OS X to cause the problem, especially since it remains after I remove the hdd image. (But never comes back until I start XP). I don't imagine it is a virus, as on this volume, neither Windows nor OS X can connect to the internet (planned it that way).

So next I will... (I don't know! I'm stumped- other than to delete the XP hdd & re-install Windows.)

Thank You again Sherrill for your suggestions. Maybe I will figure out how to get XP started long enough to repair the registry.

Paul