Disk mounting craziness

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jwiegley, Feb 26, 2007.

1. jwiegley

jwiegley Junior Member

This problem cropped up two beta versions ago, and will not go away:

At some point, Parallels decided to somehow associate an external drive with my virtual machine. Now it demands this drive be present when I start that virtual machine. I have to click "OK" four times to dialog boxes indicating the drive is not present, before it will start the machine. In fact, I no longer even have that drive -- but Parallels keeps making me press OK four times, insisting that it should be there.

Why in the world does it think this volume should be mounted? I don't even use it in association with Parallels. I think merely that it was mounted during the creation of the virtual machine, but the virtual machine itself in no way made use of it. How can I get Parallels to quit warning me about the drive not being present. It's getting very old!!

Thanks, John

2. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

Use an editor to open the .pvs file associated with your VM. If you see that drive being referenced, just change the corresponding enable flag to 0.

3. jwiegley

jwiegley Junior Member

That's what makes this so strange: The volume in question is not referenced in the .pvs file. Or in any file relating to Parallels that I can find on my system! But it seems that each of my virtual machines acquires its own set of "favorite volumes" which it then insists on complaining about on startup. It's happening with the final release version today too.

John

4. strells

strells Product Expert

You may have answered your own question. Do you have any favorites or links in the guest OS that reference the drives it wants?

Steve