Dismal User Experience for Remote Applications

Discussion in 'Parallels Client for Linux' started by ricdgr, Sep 16, 2018.

1. ricdgr

ricdgr Member

Hi there,

I'm not sure about you, but I find the use of Remote Applications unusable from modern Linux Clients. Since Unity / Gnome3 the experience is dismal, and Parallels never took the time to improve things out.
    Some main gripes I face:
    - Some applications show duplicate shadows. I can see, for example, some Menus with their own Windows shadow and then the local Window Manager.
    - Mouse interaction with this particular applications is much slower than running the same application from a full remote desktop
    - Application icons do not show on the local "bars". For example, Gnome3 shows all applications as a rectangle with a "X" mark
    - Every time I start a applications that required a new session, the Windows Server blue "Welcome" screen shows, only to be hidden after the required application starts.
    - Applications that rely on transparency show garbled on the client, because all transparent areas show as a black rectangle.

I took the time to test the Parallels owned "Demo" RAS server and can see the same exact results, so this seems not to be a problem with my particular installation.

So, my questions are:
    - Does anyone really uses, on a real scenario, Remote Applications from a Linux client?
    - Doesn't this issues bother you?
    - Is the support for Linux only meant to work properly on 5y older Desktops?
    - Does it work properly from Mainstream Linux Thin Clients?

What am I missing here?

Thanks