Display Quirks

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by GrayMatter, May 17, 2019.

1. GrayMatter

GrayMatter Member

I'm running Parallels Desktop 14 for Mac Pro Edition 14.1.3 (45485) and my guest OS is Windows 10 Version 1903. Frequently when switching from window mode to full screen or full screen to window mode, the display fails to adjust and goes garbled. When this happens I am forced to perform a hard reset on the VM. I have tried reinstalling parallels tools in the VM but that has not helped. Screenshots attached for reference. Anyone else encountered this?

Win10VM.png

2. Hi, and does it work ok after resetting?
    Could you please try to reinstall Parallels Tools check the issue and then when the issue reoccurs generate the problem report using this KB article.
    Please reply us back with any results and the report id

3. GrayMatter

GrayMatter Member

Hi Maria - I have reinstalled Parallels Tools multiple times without change. Next time it occurs, I will generate the problem report.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  4. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

What is the display?. Primary Mac screen or an external screen?.
    Have just seen the same issue on my external display. It happened twice. Then shut everything down and re-plugged the display cables, and (touch wood), it has not done it again. It was weird, since as in the posted picture, parts of the screen were OK. I was able to send a shutdown to the VM, rather than needing to use a hard reset.

5. GrayMatter

GrayMatter Member

It happens probably 90% of the time when I'm using only an external monitor attached to my Macbook Pro. It seems more likely to happen after the VM has been running for a couple of days. I do a lot of development work both in my VM and in Mac and my VM is running about 90% of the time. The only time either are rebooted or shutdown are for software updates or system crash. When the display goes wonky, i've only been successful in getting the scripts to reboot it about 20% of the time, but either way after a reset/reboot it is usually back to normal for a while.

6. thanks you for the provided information. And we also need a tech report for the issue investigation. Could you please generate it after the issue with external monitor reoccurs?

7. GrayMatter

GrayMatter Member

Just sent tech report ID 312659444. This time it happened while not using an external monitor.

The steps that caused it to occurred this time were:
    1) using VM in windowed mode while attached to external monitor
    2) suspend VM
    3) disconnect from external monitor
    4) resume VM into windowed mode
    5) attempt to make full screen

Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 7.21.04 AM.png

8. GrayMatter

GrayMatter Member

Report ID: 314727902

I was able to recreate the problem under OSX 10.15 Catalina.

9. GrayMatter

GrayMatter Member

Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 5.28.40 PM.png

The VM will respond to ICMP in this state but does not respond to the Parallels restart script. After sending it a remote reboot command from our domain controller, WMI will respond with shutdown in progress but it never reboots.

10. GrayMatter

GrayMatter Member

Report ID: 316083314

11. GrayMatter

GrayMatter Member

Report ID: 316668433
    Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 5.23.32 PM.png

12. Dear @GrayMatter,
    sorry for the delay in response, we've escalated this issue to the Parallels Engineering team and once we get any update we will contact you immediately.
    Thank a lot for your time and cooperation.

13. Hi, we've got an updates.
    Could you please create new empty VM, check the issue and let us know how it works.
    Looking forward to your reply.