Do I Need Parallels Toolbox for Mac?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by CharPatton, Jan 5, 2021.

1. CharPatton

CharPatton Bit poster

First off and most importantly, I love Parallels VM software. I'm using it to run an older version of Mac OS (Mojave) on a MBP which is running Mac OS Catalina so that I can use a single crucially important legacy program in Mojave.

That's all I do with Parallels (other than transfer backup files from the legacy program to the MBP running Catalina and to an external storage drive.

Unfortunately, I've been experiencing Mac OS Catalina crashes on my MBP every couple of days. I don't even pretend to understand the code that is generated in the "Send Crash Report to Apple" message, but something to do with Parallels is always the first thing that shows up.

Thus, I'd like to try and "bare bones" Parallels to see if that stops these crashes.
    1. Do I need Parallels Toolbox if I'm just doing what is described above?
    2. If I deinstall Parallels Toolbox, will I still be able to transfer my backup files from VM Mojave to those two sites (MBP running Catalina and to an external storage drive.)?
    3. If I should go ahead with deinstalling Parallels, how do I actually remove it?

Thank you very much!

2. sergk

sergk Parallels Developers

Hello,
    I suppose that you've mixed up "Parallels Toolbox" and "Parallels Tools".
    - "Parallels Toolbox" is separate product that is not related to Parallels Desktop. You can uninstall it (quit from it and then remove from /Applications folder). But I'm not sure that Parallels Toolbox could be the reason of crashing your mac.
    - "Parallels Tools" is a set of utility programs that should be installed inside virtual machine to provide you a lot of useful features like sharing files between macOS and virtual OS. I don't recommend you to uninstall Parallels Tools from your virtual machine.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2021
  3. Hello, it looks like you would like to remove Parallels Tools.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also could you provide us with your Parallels Desktop version please?