Documents and Downloads gone after installing Parallels!?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by brandonM2, Nov 22, 2017.

1. brandonM2

brandonM2 Bit poster

Hello Everyone,

I hope there is someone out there that will be able to tell me what went wrong and hopefully correct it.

My boss asked me to activate the Windows 10 that parallels just installed on his Mac. His mac is off of our domain, but does have some search domain functionality so he can hit our file servers. I asked if I should put the new Windows VM on the domain so he can access all the file servers without jumping any hoops. There were no reasons not to put it on the domain at the time so I did. Well now, all of the files in his documents and downloads are gone. I can't find them in Finder or the Windows Explorer. Everything on his Desktop is still there, but nothing else. I have no idea what happened. I have never used parallels before so I don't know if that was a big no no or not.

Is there anything that I can do to recover his files assuming that time machine is not set up?

2. kat

kat Product Expert

3. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

brandonM2, the reason might be the Shared Profile feature. Just disable it in VM configuration. Shutdown Windows, open VM configuration, open Options tab, then Sharing and turn off Shared Profile option.

Attached Files:

4. brandonM2

brandonM2 Bit poster

Thank you for your responses. I will try these solutions next time I am at work. I am hopeful that this fixes my issue. If it is the shared profile feature, is it possible to get the documents back? It seems like the windows VM is sharing across the mac side and the documents are gone when I added the windows portion to the domain. If I turn that feature off, will the documents come back? or will this just be the way to go in the future?

5. brandonM2

brandonM2 Bit poster

I just sent those instructions too my boss and he said that it did not work. I guess its because if the profile was being shared and I added it to the domain and it deleted everything in the documents and downloads folder? Its weird that the desktop is still there. Any other suggestions?

6. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Shared Profile feature do not delete any files. It is just using Windows folder redirection feature.

7. brandonM2

brandonM2 Bit poster

Yes, I understand that part of it. Could it have something to do with the fact that the profile was being shared and I put the windows part on our domain not knowing that Parallels had the shared profile feature. Usually you lose everything when you add a computer to the domain. This time around, we lost documents and downloads. The desktop was still there.