Does Parallels Desktop 7 have firewire support

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Mel A, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Fabulous Silicon

Fabulous Silicon Bit poster

I'd love to be able to use my M-Audio Firewire 410 audio interface through Parallels.

2. AnswerChimp

AnswerChimp Bit poster

Firewire support for Camcorder

Apple doesn't support .m2t files. It uncompresses my home movies from approx 11 - 12 GB files to 40GB+ files. I would love to continue to capture my home video in Windows using Firewire without having to use BootCamp. The conversion to 40GB files adds no additional quality and simply wastes space on my SSD.

Thanks for listening.

3. FolsomBoss

FolsomBoss Bit poster

Would Windows 7/Parallels 7 recognize a firewire device if it were connected to the mac via the Thunderbolt Firewire adapter??

4. dennisj99

dennisj99 Bit poster

I have installed Parallels 8 on a Retna Macbook Pro. I need to use Firewire live video on Expression 4 Pro to transmit live video.

I bought the Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adaptor. It is connected to a Rockfish (Best Buy) Firewire 800 to Firewire 400 cable (4 pin) to DV camera. The Expression application does not recognize it.

Is Parallels incapable of using the Firewire ports?

Thank you,

dennisj99

5. jbkalla

jbkalla Bit poster

Huh???

It's 2013 and still no Firewire support?? Firewire has been the main connection interface on Macs for years. Every mac has a firewire port. Why would Parallels not support firewire??

6. bernhard76

bernhard76 Bit poster

I am a Parallels 7 User and I couldn't upgrade to version 8 or 9 or whatever without Firewire support. :-(

Firewire is the ONLY feature I've ever wanted to have, I do a lot of digital editing and I want to be able to capture from a Firewire device like a Canon XH-A1. I had a Windows XP machine running for almost 5 years doing ONLY that (capturing HDV tapes via Firewire) because on the Mac you don't have a good Firewire DV/HDV tape capturing tool.

Please don't tell me that you can't get Firewire, an interface which has been used for decades on Windows and Mac, up and running with the next release of Parallels, come on!

This is so sad.

7. FireWire disks are supported in PD9 as external devices.

Unfortunately, only storage devices are supported now and unlikely the support will be extended. Enjoy.

8. bernhard76

bernhard76 Bit poster

Well, at least (H)DV video-tapes are going to be extinct in some years or so... (actually they're already dead but in the video industry lots of customers use really old equipment!). ;)