Does Parallels support even exist?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by slazzari, Jun 28, 2006.

1. slazzari

slazzari Bit poster

I recently purchased Parallels Desktop for Mac, and needed to open a support incident. I opened it two weeks ago, and still no response.

I now need to open another incident, but shoud I bother,if they never get back to me?

Does anyone from Parallels read this board? If so, please reply with how I can get in touch with someone. Otherwise I'll have to beging the process of getting a refund, and try to find another product that suits my needs.

Thanks,

Scott

2. Banacek

Banacek Member

They haven't been responding to me as well. I guess they took a vacation :(

3. macgebruiker

macgebruiker Hunter

That is my main problem with Parrallels. Luckily the app works with little or no problems.

4. haralds

haralds Member

Works great except for USB support, developer documentation, incorrect OS X file caching (kills performance and hogs RAM and pagefiles), and poor Screen Driver implementation (updates way too much moving megapixels when you type one character instead of updating regions.)

If the CPUs were not as powerful as they are today, this would not be usable. But it shows promise!

5. mmak

mmak Member

They do read this board as far as I can tell. But it would be difficult for them to answer every question given the sheer number of users (~100,000 beta testers by one count). You can place your question here and readers will help you. But ask yourself the question, if you are already thinking about a refund, do you really need Parallels? I for example have used it since day 1 (in early May) and cannot fathom living without it.
    BTW, I do not work for them or have any financial relationship with their company.
    Mike

6. kaidomac

kaidomac Member

Well, from the interview I read, Parallels is a pretty small company, so I'm sure they're overwhelmed with tech support requests right now. I think they said their beta was used by over 100,000 people. I recall reading that they were also hiring a lot of new people for help with coding and whatnot, so I'd expect it to be a few weeks for them to get their staff up to speed.

7. rpetges

rpetges Member

Maybe they're a small company, but whenever I send them a bug report I would at least appreciate a reply (even a ticket number) that my request has been accepted and would be handled within the next, let's say 5 days.

Leaving a customer, having spend money for a product that works quite well (every program has bugs), in the dark is NOT the correct way. I personnally contacted the support because I have a real issue ... and a product is only as good as the support !

Best regards,
    Romain

Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
  8. VTMac

VTMac Pro

For most people the reality is there are not other good options. Unless your willing to reboot for boot camp your stuck. Which is ultimately why they're overwhelmed. They filled a HUGE void and have recieved an avalanche of response. I understand you're frustration, but you'll probably be more satisfied if you post you question to the user community here and rely on their support or if you simply switch to Boot Camp and reboot.

9. mcg

mcg Hunter

Yeah, you know, for the price of VMWare, I'd expect a bit more responsiveness from tech support. But for $40, this forum is suiting me just fine for now.

10. PubGuy

PubGuy Hunter

Let's see, 100,000 testers x $40 each = $40M.
    Yeah, I'd say they could hire a few extra staff and be within budget. :D

11. Banacek

Banacek Member

If they weren't ready to deal with all the issues they should of never released a final version.

12. Edd

Edd Member

40 x 100,000 is 4,000,000 and who said all the beta's bought?

13. VTMac

VTMac Pro

I'm assuming you've never tried to the finance the growth of a startup. If it were only so easy. If in 6 months Parallels hasn't made substantial progress in terms of building an adequate support organization, I'd be concerned. Right now, I suspect their scrambling to find the right people, train them, raise additional funding etc.

14. Banacek

Banacek Member

I guess you're right, but ignoring everyone without making any kind of statement isn't helping the situation. Admittely as a early adopter I'm going to be having problems. But getting absolutely no responses from Parallels (and knowing that I'm not only one) is disconcerting. Someone needs to at least get on this board and let us know what the deal is, since they can't send email responses.

EDIT: Perfect example, no one from Parallels has responsed to this thread yet.

15. johnb

johnb Member

parallels is no longer in beta. i've not noticed them responding to any tech support questions. they do not return phone calls. they do not return emails. granted there are not many problems with this release, but it is a RELEASED product and regardless of how small they are, there should be support. many small companies provide support even if only via email.
    it does not bode well for the future.

16. wesley

wesley Pro

The report I filed about a month ago has yet to be responded. It's a critical issue that cuts down the usefulness of PDM (from lots of Koreans' viewpoint). It's really sad.

17. Sheppy

Sheppy Hunter

My feeling is that right now, Parallels is mostly engineers, and I'm betting that after shipping 2.1 for Mac, they all took a much-deserved vacation.

18. johnb

johnb Member

deserved vacation or not, they take money for a product and are therefore a business. what would you say if the telephone company took a vacation when your phone wasn't working? they imply one can get support, but they don't appear to provide it. (lack of support is understandable in beta phases).

19. mwhitted

mwhitted Bit poster

Same here. I filed 2 or 3 bug reports during the Beta and got no response. I have re-filed one of those since Final, still no response.:(

20. Sheppy

Sheppy Hunter

I guess I don't feel that strongly about this since PD is working perfectly for me. :)