Does re-activating windows kill old PC copy?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by alljosp, Jul 10, 2007.

1. alljosp

alljosp Bit poster

Hi,
    I'm about to use transporter to setup parallels and understand the re-activation stuff with microsoft I think. My question is, after I activate the windows xp on my mac, does this automatically deactivate the copy on my pc? I'm happy to pay for another copy, but don't want to have to reinstall xp on my pc, as I'd like to keep both machines up and running for a while.

Anyone with any experience or thoughts in this regard?
    Thanks!
    Alljosp

2. fromans

fromans Member

While I haven't tried it using the transporter, I do know from experience that just activating a Windows key again on a different PC does not magically break the old one. Now legally, I wouldn't recommend it except for an emergency migration, immediately followed by one of two things: either remove Windows from the old PC, or relicense it. There are several ways to relicense Windows. If it is Vista, it has a tool built in. If it is Windows XP, search google for a way to change your license key. There are several ways including 3rd party "hack" utilities, as well as more difficult registry key changes. Remember, Microsoft knows what key you use, each and everytime Windows checks for updates, so keep it on the up and up.