vincebodie
Bit poster
Okay, I am a twenty year Mac "power user" with a fair bit of Windows knowledge, and I cannot get Parallels to work no matter what. My configuration is:
MacPro tower 3.0ghz quad
5GB RAM
OS 10.4.11
~50GB free HD space
AT&T DSL service (2Wire modem w/wireless)
Parallels 3.0, build 5584.0
Windows XP Home Edition
This Mac is a rock of stability. It gets regular maintenance to keep it in top running condition, and it never gives me a problem on the Mac side of things.
I have tried a whole slew of installation options for XP, from 'express' using Shared Networking and a wireless connection to 'custom' using Bridged Ethernet (the modem has three connection options - wireless, ethernet, and USB). No matter what setup I have tried, I have met with nothing but failure and frustration, especially when trying to update Windows. The furthest I have gotten in this regard was when using Bridged Ethernet. I was able to get all updates installed until SP2, at which point the install freezes with an 'Invalid Data' warning. No matter what, every time I try to update Windows, the resulting failure destabilizes the OS to the point that it becomes unusable.
I used Virtual PC on my Powerbook for years, and even though it was painfully slow, it was rock solid. In contrast, this software is an unstable, unreliable piece of junk... :-(
Am I alone in this respect? Is there something am I doing wrong? I feel like I've been raked over the coals for this pile of garbage software...
MacPro tower 3.0ghz quad
5GB RAM
OS 10.4.11
~50GB free HD space
AT&T DSL service (2Wire modem w/wireless)
Parallels 3.0, build 5584.0
Windows XP Home Edition
This Mac is a rock of stability. It gets regular maintenance to keep it in top running condition, and it never gives me a problem on the Mac side of things.
I have tried a whole slew of installation options for XP, from 'express' using Shared Networking and a wireless connection to 'custom' using Bridged Ethernet (the modem has three connection options - wireless, ethernet, and USB). No matter what setup I have tried, I have met with nothing but failure and frustration, especially when trying to update Windows. The furthest I have gotten in this regard was when using Bridged Ethernet. I was able to get all updates installed until SP2, at which point the install freezes with an 'Invalid Data' warning. No matter what, every time I try to update Windows, the resulting failure destabilizes the OS to the point that it becomes unusable.
I used Virtual PC on my Powerbook for years, and even though it was painfully slow, it was rock solid. In contrast, this software is an unstable, unreliable piece of junk... :-(
Am I alone in this respect? Is there something am I doing wrong? I feel like I've been raked over the coals for this pile of garbage software...