Don't have sound in XP.

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Divi, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Divi

Divi Junior Member

my id is 21715

2. Divi

Divi Junior Member

my report id: 21828

3. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

I submitted case to developers

4. jlcotton1968

jlcotton1968 Bit poster

How do I submit a Trouble Ticket? I tried all the suggested methods to fix my sound but all that comes out of my speakers are "choppy" noises.

Thank You.

5. adamantane

adamantane Bit poster

Sound, Mouse, & Printer Problems

Everything worked find with P3. Now in P4, while in Windows XP my sound is out, my mouse is all messed-up, and I can no longer print from any of my printers in Windows. At the advice of the techs, I have installed Tools several times, but nothing improved. Soooooo, i tried your suggestion above. Now I can't even get back into Windows. I get to the Parallels start screen (black) for Windows, but the Start button will no longer work.

6. John@Parallels

7. jsdc2005

jsdc2005 Bit poster

I have the same problem with Vista - sound works if I boot directly to Vista, but the Parallels VM gives me the "multimeda device" driver error, and it simply will not recognize the RealTek drivers as being installed or valid for the device. If I force-install the drivers by telling my parallels Vista VM what the device is and directing it to the driver, it says the device could not be started. I'll try some of the suggestions here but this is not an XP-only problem.

8. John@Parallels

Please remove sound device from Vista , stop VM
    Check that in Configuration Sound is present ,enabled and connected
    Start VM and check sound,

9. jsdc2005

jsdc2005 Bit poster

Sound was already enabled in the VM preferences, and removing the question-mark device and restarting the VM did not resolve the problem. Vista VM (not Vista native) is still telling me I have an unrecognized multimedia audio controller.

10. John@Parallels

Please wait, in original post I noticed mention for Realtek driver,
    In Virtual Machine we emulate Intel AC'97 not Realtek,
    Did you try to somehow install Realtek driver

11. jsdc2005

jsdc2005 Bit poster

I did install realtek. Can you point me to an Intel AC'97 driver? Even if I don't install realtek, the VM doesn't know how to deal with the "multimedia audio controller" by itself.

12. John@Parallels

Remove it, remove sound device from Device Manager on Vista and restart VM, it should be detected

13. jsdc2005

jsdc2005 Bit poster

Well, that didn't solve the problem either, but I am now getting a notice that my newdev.exe file is corrupted.

14. John@Parallels

15. jsdc2005

jsdc2005 Bit poster

That would be a helpful suggestion if Vista were having problems by itself, which it isn't. The problem is that while my audio works fine in Vista, nothing I can do will cause my Vista VM in Parallels to cause my audio card to work. I have sound in Vista, my newdev.exe is fine in native Vista. Parallels is the problem. So where are these Intel AC97 drivers, because I can't find them anywhere.

16. John@Parallels

Driver is in Vista itself, it is standard driver inside Vista DVD, probably it means that this file is corrupted, I suppose if you attach real device in real Vista you get the same error

17. JasonBee

JasonBee Junior Member

AH HAAAA!

Fixed mine. Please forgive my repeating previous advice. I had read this and other threads and had missed a few steps. For your own info if this helps.

The issue for me: I updated from Parallels Desktop 3 to Parallels Desktop 4 on the mac. I lost working audio on my Window XP VMs. I had the garbled audio problem many have noted. Bad drivers were the issue. Audio worked before. Audio failed to work after!

I am running some newer WinXP VMs - WinXP SP3, built from slipstreamed install discs/iso files, which seem to be missing the older Intel AC'97 audio drivers, but DO include the newer Intel AC'97 + RealTek AC'97 audio drivers and software codecs. I could not totally remove them manually not knowing which files to delete. By installing the RealTek AC'97 drivers using the RealTek driver installers, I was then able to UNinstall the RealTek components and by extension all remaining RealTek AC'97 drivers. YMMV on this one.

Additionally - I have an older Windows XP SP2 machine used for QuickTax that was imported to Parallels using Transporter that does have proper working audio, and I noticed that the audio device registered as the "Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller". If you don't see the audio device detected as that (as repeatedly suggested before me in this thread), then you will not have working audio due to either the mismatched RealTek drivers, or lack of existing drivers. That is the hardware being emulated. NOT the RealTek AC'97

I must note for the record. *My* WinXP install media did NOT have the proper drivers. There *are* differing versions of WinXP install media due to differing Service Packs, slipstreaming options, etc. Some of this may not make sense to the non-window experts here, but MS does issue differing version of the same OS depending on where and when you got your install media. I have lots of TechNet media from MS, as well as Developer disk sets (MSDN). They are valid installs of WinXP, but the contents vary, adn thus are missing some drivers.

Perhaps this is why some of you are not finding drivers.

Solution - I did the following:

1) Uninstalled all RealTek drivers, rebooted
    2) Uninstalled Parallels tools, rebooted
    3) installed Parallels Tools, rebooted
    4) Had all WinXP CDs handy, for when hardware detection took place.

Nothing above resulted in a working Audio setup.

What worked:

See if you have these files:

c:\windows\inf\wdma_int.inf
    c:\windows\inf\wdma_int.pnf

If you do, it's possible you can point to these files when installing the audio and you will get the proper drivers installed. If you are missing these, you won't get your audio back (yet). If your WinXP install media are missing these files, you will not get your audio back (yet). If you can find the individual files, you may be in luck.

The list of files I collected to reproduce a successful driver install are as follows:

08/17/2001 07:20 AM 96,256 AC'97intc.sys
    08/04/2004 01:07 AM 60,288 drmk.sys
    08/04/2004 01:15 AM 140,928 ks.sys
    08/04/2004 02:56 AM 130,048 ksproxy.ax
    08/04/2004 02:56 AM 4,096 ksuser.dll
    08/04/2004 01:15 AM 145,792 portcls.sys
    08/04/2004 01:08 AM 48,640 stream.sys
    08/04/2004 02:56 AM 23,552 wdmaud.drv
    08/28/2002 08:02 PM 24,371 wdma_int.inf
    03/26/2005 06:35 PM 44,908 wdma_int.PNF

The dates and files sizes may vary, but the INF and PNF files must match. I put these files into a folder and dropped the folder onto each VM that was having audio issues. I pointed the driver install to the INF and now audio works again. For copyright reasons I cannot post them here, but perhaps this will help you find out where to locate them bit by bit if all else fails. I did not locate a working Intel Driver installer, so perhaps someone (Parallels support!) can post a working link to the proper Intel driver installer?

Cheers!

18. JasonBee

JasonBee Junior Member

Oops... copied and pasted one item too many. The name of the "AC97intc.sys" file does NOT contain an apostrophe.

08/17/2001 07:20 AM 96,256 AC97intc.sys
    08/04/2004 01:07 AM 60,288 drmk.sys
    08/04/2004 01:15 AM 140,928 ks.sys
    08/04/2004 02:56 AM 130,048 ksproxy.ax
    08/04/2004 02:56 AM 4,096 ksuser.dll
    08/04/2004 01:15 AM 145,792 portcls.sys
    08/04/2004 01:08 AM 48,640 stream.sys
    08/04/2004 02:56 AM 23,552 wdmaud.drv
    08/28/2002 08:02 PM 24,371 wdma_int.inf
    03/26/2005 06:35 PM 44,908 wdma_int.PNF

19. realej

realej Bit poster

Well, I had the no sound thing but I fixed it. I tried uninstalling the Parallels tools and even running the Boot Camp 2.1 updater but none worked. So, just for the hell of it, I looked at the volume controls in Windows Xp. All of the volume dials were up at whatever level except for the Wave.

So I upped the Wave volume and there was my sound. What's odd is that booting the machine directly in Xp had sound but no sound when through Parallels.

So see if the Wave is way down. It may do it. It did for me at least.

20. moff

moff Member

Same here, since upgraded to PD 4.0 no sound.
    Created report # 27792. Thank you. Saul