Double bootcamp disks seen??

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by jefferis, Mar 16, 2010.

1. jefferis

jefferis Member

On startup, the virtual machine does not remember the which drive is my bootcamp drive I have set. For some reason, it sees 2 drives: a 128 partition (disk2) and another 438meg partition (disk3). I believe the latter is the virtual drive and the 128 is the actual bootcamp drive. Anyway, I've set it to the 438 meg but every time i restart parallels it says it is unable to figure disk2s, etc. and it is pointed to the 128 meg drive. In other words, it forgets I have assigned the virtural startup disk to the larger partition.

So I switch in config to the larger drive (disk 3) and boot up. (I'm running Win 7). It will start, but after shutting down windows, I go back into config and it only sees the one disk (3) at 128mgs, bootcamp drive.

The only other items on the drop down menu are a windows hdd drive Image file for my old XP installation.

What is going on and how do I force Parallels 5 to remember the valid drive between restarts?

2. jefferis

jefferis Member

This appears to happen to me only after a reboot of my Mac. I see the error now as The Boot Camp partition "/dev/disk3s3" used by Hard Disk 1 is not supported.
    Please open the virtual machine configuration and select a supported Boot Camp partition in the Hard Disk 1 settings.
    The disk 1 is a 128gig bootcamp drive. Disk 3 says it is a 12 gig drive. I switch from disk 1 to disk 3 and back to disk 1 in the config area, and disk 1 boots up as expected. I've checked with diskUtil and there is only 1 Windows drive on my system. I don't know why it is seeing 2 disks.