Downgrade from 3 to 2.5

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by aidan, Jun 10, 2007.

1. paddler

paddler Bit poster

No the saddest part of all is there are so many people wanting to downgrade... :)

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

And that this has been going on for a very long time over a number of beta, RC, and GA releases.

3. cmendoza099

cmendoza099 Bit poster

so... uninstalling

So can anyone please tell us how to uninstall 3.0?

I've run the uninstaller for 4128, then ran the installer for 3188 and I get the "nothing to install" error. In addition, the installer thinks that 3.0 is installed in my system.

I also deleted one kext that was lying around (connectUSB.ketx i believe), and in addition I removed anything with "parallels" in its file name from my system (Folders, plists, etc). Still, the installer tells me that 3.0 is there and there is "nothing to install"

So, could someone please post detailed instructions as to how to completely remove 3.0 from my system?

Snarky replies need not apply. In this thread there have not been instructions as to how to remove the program from a system. "Run the uninstaller" and "i removed things from /Library" are NOT detailed instructions, nor are they useful. I also "removed things from /Library" and I still can't reinstall. Link smack me if there is a thread with useful info.

jaredbeck: could you please tell what files you removed?

It would also be real nice if someone from Parallels showed up. Radio silence is not making you look good, especially since all of these problems are not regarding a Beta version, nor an RC. This is supposed to be production software, but it obviously isn't. And let me remind you that we paid for this upgrade.

4. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

This is a discussion forum, not a support forum, so don't be surprised that a lot of support doesn't happen here directly from Parallels and that isn't intended to be snarky, that's just the facts. Support@Parallels.com is still the best way to get support. For your problem - did you reboot your system at any time after removing everything? And did you remove all the directories (VM directories excepted)?

5. cmendoza099

cmendoza099 Bit poster

I removed everything that has "Parallels" in its name, VM's included (I am on Boot Camp, so I didn't really care for the VM's). That means all folders and plists. Rebooted, and still more of the same. Obviously, there are some files still lying around.

And, umm, all of the titles in these pages read "Parallels Support Forum" :)

6. wingdo

wingdo Pro

This will probably come across as "snarky" but here I go anyway ........

from the finder, do a "find" (command-F) and search for Parallels. You will find a number of folders. Remove them all EXCEPT the folder containing your VMs . In my case I have folders all over the place:

Applications/Parallels
    ~/Documents/Parallels
    ~/Library/Logs/Parallels
    /Library/Parallels
    ~/Library/Parallels
    /Library/StartupItems/Parallels
    /Library/StartupItems/Parallels Transporter

A reboot after running the uninstaller is strongly suggested.

7. wingdo

wingdo Pro

He's got you there! :eek:

8. cmendoza099

cmendoza099 Bit poster

Thanks wingdo, but those are all gone. I checked for the logs (which I hand't checked), but they are gone too. Searching for "parallels" doesn't turn out anything relevant anymore. Does this program install anything on any of the os x hidden folders?

9. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Specifically, this forum is described thus:

That's a far leap from support. But never misunderestimate the ability of Parallels to create ambiguity :). What makes this not a support BBS is Parallels as they consistently recommend using support@parallels.com for support issues. Without any kind of case tracking and closure tools this would be a very poor choice for them should they try to conduct true product support.

Edit: More stuff - here's the what to do when it breaks link I was hunting for - right under my nose: http://forum.parallels.com/thread11880.html

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  10. cmendoza099

cmendoza099 Bit poster

So I managed to install 2.5

I decided to install 3.0 again and see what happened. To my surprise, my key didn't work, and when I checked, the 3.0 installer had installed 2.5!! So I put my 2.5 key and now I'm downgraded.

This is very bizarre behavior, to say the least. Oh well, it got my problem fixed.

11. kblume

kblume Junior Member

Unfortunately, when one has an OEM copy of Windows, one can only register it once. So a complete re-install of Parallels Desktop 2.5 plus Windows is out of the question.- Having been a Mac user since 1984, this version 3.0 is one of the worst. - Once Parallels Desktop 3.0 starts running, the BBOD (beach ball of doom) is forever running, bringing MacOS to its knees.- I now wait until Parallels Desktop gets a working copy out.

Cheers,

Klaus

12. David5000

David5000 Pro

As far as I know, an OEM version of Windows can only be registered to one computer, but you can install it on that computer as many times as you want.

David

13. kblume

kblume Junior Member

Hi,
    I attempted to leave Parallels Desktop 3.0 alone, and install a fresh copy of 2.5. However, Parallels Desktop won’t let me do that. It appears that a complete uninstall is in order.

Could someone tell me what impact this will have re: building a new VM? I assume that I have to re-install Windows XP. I have an OEM version that allows me to activate it once. Does anyone know what might happen?

Thanks,

Klaus

14. David5000

David5000 Pro

As far as I know the OEM version can be activated many times, but only on one computer. At the worst you will have to call Microsoft to re-activate. Just be sure to tell them that you are only reinstalling and that you haven't changed your hardware. I think it is also best not to mention that you are using Parallels--that will only lead to confusion on their part.

A Google search will yield many discussions of this.

David

15. Hindsight

Hindsight Bit poster

We just re-activated our OEM and were successful in getting a serial from Microsoft on the second attempt. The first time, we mentioned Parallels and that threw them.

16. John Howard

John Howard Hunter

Just goes to show that newer is not always better.

From a commercial and ethical point of view, there is nothing wrong with this as long as people aren't paying for what they want to downgrade from (betas etc.). I've beta-tested other products and I had to sign a disclaimer waiving any claims against problems the beta might cause.

But this is very wrong when we're talking about paid-for GA releases.