Downloading the upgrade for Parallels Desktop build 5584 (from build 5582)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Peter Joh, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Peter Joh

Peter Joh Bit poster

Hello,
    I am a fairly long time user of Parallels Desktop. I bought and used it starting with build 1970. I've updating it fairly regularly with no problem and upgraded all the way to build 5582. But, I tried to update to this latest build - 5584 and ran into problems. When I run check update, the updater says there is a new build found; it tries to download it, but throws up a message that basically says: This product needs to be registered to download the update, please go to the parallels website to register.

I've already register my copy, but I go there anyways and re-enter my activation number. The website agrees with me, because when I try to re-register, it says that I have already registered this activation number.

Anyways, even though I know it won't work, I try to re-run the update, and again, it throws up the same error message saying I need to register this copy before I can download the update.

Has anyone else run into this problem?
    Is anyone at parallels know of a solution? Is this because I bought my copy of parallels so long ago, and my activation number isn't valid anymore?

Thanks,
    Pete

2. shavital

shavital Member

Downloading build 5584

1. Version issue. If your Parallels is version 3.0, you shouldn't be having any version problem. Which seems to be case, since you have successfully upgraded to build 5582. Anyway, please check that the license you bought is for Parallels 3.0 and not for any of its predecessors. Because if your license is not for Parallels 3.0, you are going to have trouble.

2. Downloading build 5584. What I did, and what I suggest you do, is download the software from the download link in Parallels web site: it is posted as a trial download, but when you click the download link, you are presented with a web page that offers two options, request a trial license, or just upgrade your software. Select the latter one, and click Next or whatever is the link to proceed.

3. Installing 5584. I'm just writing this, in case you run in the same problems. When I first launched the updater (5584), and the install window showed, the progression bar stalled a few seconds after starting. Please be sure to actually copy the installer to your computer's hard disk, and launch the installer from there. Do no try to launch the installer from its Disk Image.

4. If, when you try to start the virtual machine you had running under 5582, and you get an on-screen warning (a large one...) indicating that Parallels cannot launch because it is lacking some of its drivers, etc..., and to try and install again, etc..., what I did was to run, again, the 5584 installer. This solved the problem.

5. If your virtual machine was Windows, when you launch it, it will display the Parallels Tools Wizard, please follow its indications to have Parallels Tools installed in your Windows virtual machine. Once the installation is completed, the Wizard (I hate that Microsoft word...) will prompt you to restart. Please go ahead and restart. If upon completing the restart process, you experience some trouble, like it happened to me: the lower part of the Windows desktop did not show the Launch Bar, or whatever it is called under Windows, the place where you have the "Start" button, I suggest that you type ctrl+option(alt) in order to have the Parallels Menu Bar show at the top of the screen. Then try to use the available options (Stop, Reset, etc...) until you get the usual Windows desktop.

6. I am typing this from my Linux-Ubuntu 7.10 virtual machine. It is running correctly, but I have not found any way to install its corresponding Parallels Tools. When I upgraded to 5582, there was a CD icon on the Ubuntu desktop, that "contained" the installer for Parallels Tools. Now, after upgrading to build 5582, I find no such CD icon, or any other indication that Parallels Tools has been installed, or not. If you have any information about this, please let me know. I shall, anyway, put the question to Parallels Technical Support.

I hope you can successfully upgrade (or update...) to build 5584.

3. Peter Joh

Peter Joh Bit poster

thanks!

shavital,

Thanks for the info! I used the download page instead of the auto updater, and i was able to download and install the update. Many thanks!

By the way, you mentioned that I needed a license for Parallels version 3. Funny thing is, I have a much older license, probably from version 2. I think this is why I couldn't get the auto updater to work (and had to download it directly from the site). Would you happen to know I can get an updated licenses? Should I have gotten an new license key from Parallels?

Thanks!
    Pete

4. shavital

shavital Member

"By the way, you mentioned that I needed a license for Parallels version 3. Funny thing is, I have a much older license, probably from version 2. I think this is why I couldn't get the auto updater to work (and had to download it directly from the site). Would you happen to know I can get an updated licenses? Should I have gotten an new license key from Parallels?"

If you browse through postings about installing new builds, you will see that several subscribers had problems installing a new build, when their Parallels version was previous to 3.0. I'm glad you didn't experience that problem. But you should be able to ascertain which version your license is for, either by clicking "About Parallels...", or by checking what's written on the installation CD and/or the User Manual that came in the Parallels boxed software. About getting a new license, if you must, you should check the Parallels site, there's probably an upgrading fee. I wouldn't know, I purchased Parallels 3.0 sometime around October 2007, a short time before Leopard was released for sale.

5. Peter Joh

Peter Joh Bit poster

thanks again

thanks again shavital for the additional info. I'll check the site and see whether I need to buy a new/upgrade licenses,

Pete

6. shavital

shavital Member

Pete, I have searched the whole Parallels web site, looking for an upgrade option, couldn't find any. There are only options to purchase Parallels 3.0, or Parallels Mac Premium. There's a "live" support feature at www.liveperson.com. It's up to you to use and try to find out whether Parallels offer any update option, at what price, and in what conditions. But ONLY if the Parallels version you own is NOT 3.0, in my opinion. Have a fine week end.
    Charly

7. Peter Joh

Peter Joh Bit poster

thanks much Charly, appreciated.
    Pete

8. Kathleen

Kathleen Member

What is the advantage of downloading and installing build 5584? I have build 5582 which is what came in the package with Parallels 3.0.

I am having problems with any sound in Parallels XP. Can anyone help me out with that, please!

Kathleen

9. shavital

shavital Member

If you are running Leopard, Parallels build 5584 is the current stable release, and this mainly why I upgraded from 5582 to 5584.

About sound problems in your Windows XP virtual disk, can you be more specific? Does "any sound" means that you have no sound at all, even when XP completes booting and plays the Window "chime"?. Have you checked the settings of XP?

10. Kathleen

Kathleen Member

sound in XP

I have mostly no sound at all in XP with Parallels. There is no chime when Windows starts up, and most programs make no sound. One program (a hymnal) makes some sound, but it is VERY quiet (barely audible) and VERY slow.

Kathleen

11. shavital

shavital Member

I suggest you check the XP configuration pannel: while holding down the Command (Apple) key, double click on the XP icon that was put on the Desktop when you installed XP, this will display the Configuration Pannel of XP. Click the Sound icon, check and configure the sound settings. If there is no such icon, go to Applications/Parallels, launch Parallels, and when you get to launch XP, hold down the Apple key.

12. Kathleen

Kathleen Member

So where do I go to get the new build (5584) and how do I install it?

13. shavital

shavital Member

14. Kathleen

Kathleen Member

I did check the settings. But you didn't really tell me what they should say. So I'm not sure what I need to do with them when I "check" them. Thanks.

15. shavital

shavital Member

The settings, for Sound, should say how you would like the Sound in XP to perform: hold down the Apple key, launch XP. When the XP configuration window shows, choose, from the Menu in the upper part, 'Edit', and then 'Edit Virtual Machine'. This will show you all the settings that govern XP. Go to Sound: on the right side of the window you have 'Sound Options', you should select (mark) Enabled, mark also the next small square button (I don't remember right now its name), then see what you've got in the next two settings. These are the settings for what device you use for sound input and output. Choose what's best for you, I cannot tell what exactly, each user has his/her own settings. For instance, it can be "Built-in", that's for the loudspeakers that are built-in in your computer, etc. You should also set the Sound volume. I suggest also that where you in XP, you adjust the sound volume using Windows XP's own sound settings.

16. Kathleen

Kathleen Member

I have done all these things, downloaded and installed the new build, and now I have absolutely no sound. I've experimented with different settings in all the places you've recommended and none of them give me any sound at all. This is pretty frustrating. Had I known I was going to not have any sound in my XP programs, I might have been inclined to NOT purchase a MAC, though I am enjoying it for the MAC environment.

17. shavital

shavital Member

It has nothing to do with a Mac. I have a Mac, where I have installed not only Windows XP Pro, but also Linux Ubuntu 7.10, under Parallels 3.0, build 5584. I have no problems with sound, in any of both platforms. It would be possible, because the upgrade has changed nothing, that the problem is with the way XP itself is configured, and not with Parallels. I am not an expert Windows user, I only run it to have access to two web sites that have been designed to work ONLY with Internet Explorer and Windows. Some web designers....

18. Kathleen

Kathleen Member

sound problem

So, can you tell me anything more about how to configure XP? I've done everything I have been instructed to do, and everything I can think to do and nothing is working. Indeed things are completely silent now. I have NO sound where I did have very faint sound before installing the latest build.

19. shavital

shavital Member

Sorry, as I have already indicated, I am not an expert user of Windows.

20. Kathleen

Kathleen Member

So can anyone advise me as to who might be able to help? When I called Windows XP for help they told me they don't support Windows on Macs, and when I called Mac help they told me they don't either. I already had to pay once ($19.99) for a call to Parallels and would prefer to avoid another such charge. But I'm beginning to wonder if that is my only hope.