Drag And Drop To Mac Desktop Stopped Working In Parallels 18

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Kurt Todoroff, Aug 30, 2022.

1. Kurt Todoroff

Kurt Todoroff Member

iMac 17,1
    24 GB memory

Drag and drop from both WXP VM and W11 VM to the Mac desktop worked on Parallels 17 and prior.

I upgraded to Parallels 18. Drag and drop from both WXP VM and W11 VM to the Mac desktop no longer functions.

I checked the settings (Options -> More Options). They are correct.

I installed the update, this morning. D&D still does not work.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Thank you for your assistance.

Kurt

2. Kurt Todoroff

Kurt Todoroff Member

I forgot to add that, if I copy the files/folders from within the VMs, then, attempt to paste them into the macOS environment, neither the Finder Edit menu nor the Finder Desktop contextual menu display the word Paste. Furthermore, Command V does not paste the VM files/folders into the Finder.

TomT16 likes this.
  3. Kurt Todoroff

Kurt Todoroff Member

I have discovered that I am unable to copy/paste data between VMs and the macOS environment. Parallels does allow me to copy/paste within the VM.

TomT16 likes this.
  4. KennethF

KennethF Member

I'm having this problem too. Cannot copy/paste

5. Kurt Todoroff

Kurt Todoroff Member

Hello, KennethF.

I had contacted Parallels technical support, regarding this issue. They suggested that I remove Parallels Tools from within the Windows virtual machine environment, then, restart Windows, then, reinstall Parallels Tools. This solved the problem. However, this caused Internet access from within this Windows virtual machine to cease.

I contacted Parallels technical support, regarding this second issue. Their suggestions did not remedy the issue. They contacted me by telephone. I allowed them to remotely access my Mac. They repeated every procedure which they had previously instructed me to perform. This did not restore Internet access to this Windows virtual machine.

The technical support representative stated that he would forward this case, and his findings, to the Parallels engineers for review. This occurred more than one week ago. I have not received contact from Parallels regarding this second issue, since that time.

Regards,

Kurt

6. KennethF

KennethF Member

So I have both problems. I can't copy/paste AND I have no network access either. I removed and reinstalled Parallels Tools and that didn't solve either problem. In addition, the desktop is much larger than the screen and I cannot get the taskbar to appear onscreen. I am really frustrated....

7. DannyD3

DannyD3 Bit poster

Copy and Paste doesn't work for me either

8. Kurt Todoroff

Kurt Todoroff Member

Last week, a Parallels technical support representative contacted me. I allow them to remotely access my Mac. After a few hours, he reestablished Internet access from the VM.

Copy/paste, drag and drop between VM and Mac, and, Internet access are now working.

9. WayneF4

WayneF4 Bit poster

I too have this problem; I tried fixing it myself but have not succeeded:
    1: I reinstalled the parallels tools - rebooted and that did not work.
    2: I the tried uninstalling; then reboot; then reinstall; that did not work either.

What else can I try?

10. Adeboye Adeotan

Adeboye Adeotan Staff Member

Hello WayneF4,

Please collect a technical report while the issue is being reproduced (click Parallels icon > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in reply to this post.

11. WayneF4

WayneF4 Bit poster

My problem was solved last night by your tech support team. (I was signed out of Parallels for some reason, I was able to use the VM but not drag and drop); After signing in via Google; I was able to drag and drop files again.

Adeboye Adeotan likes this.