Dragon Naturally Speaking -- Not working :(

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by glkaplan, Jun 26, 2007.

1. glkaplan

glkaplan Bit poster

Hi:

I've read numerous posts about others having success with 3.0 and dragon, but I keep getting an error message saying it won't run in "elevated mode". Any suggestions/work arounds? (Could this be a Vista issue? Should I create a separate XP VM). Thanks for your thoughts.

Gary K

Macbook
    2 gigs
    Vista
    Parallels 3.0

2. dkwehe

dkwehe Member

I run DNS 9.1 with XP everyday using PD3.0. Using the brilliant idea of unused_user_name, I dictate directly into Mac applications such as Mail and Word. I haven't had the courage to do any serious Word documents with PD3.0 because earlier versions of PD would freeze up the Mac after an indeterminate period of use.

In short, DNS9.1 with XP SP2 and PD3.0 work well for me. Using the Brand X virtualization product, there is too much latency to be competitive with PD3.0.

dkw.

3. glkaplan

glkaplan Bit poster

Problem solved!!! The issue is Microsofts User Account Control. DNS won't work in "Administrator mode." To fix problem, there are some options. 1. log on to an non-administrator account. 2. In an adminstrator account, Vista will put the program in "elevated mode" automatically. So you would need to turn off UAC, which can be done on the control panel. Microsoft doesn't like this but, they don't give you much choice. (Also, be sure that in the preferences for the program the button for Run as Administrator is unchecked). Hope this saves someone some time!

Best,

Gary K