DreamLinux...?

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by TheSystemHasFailed, Aug 26, 2007.

1. TheSystemHasFailed

TheSystemHasFailed Member

Anyone try to install this?

Have any luck?

2. hotblack

hotblack Member

Haven't tried it myself but there seem to be some supports of using it with Parallels out there. There have been a couple of posts on these forums talking about using it and a mention of network problems (with a beta from last year though) but not much else.

Sorry to not be able to be of more help, guess it's worth giving it a try and reporting any problems you see.

3. TheSystemHasFailed

I figured it out. Turned out to be two problems...

- The download of the ISO was corrupt. Running and md5sum on the ISO showed that.
    - After I resolved the above issue I started it using Dream - Failsafe and included the options irqpoll after the acpi=off option.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  4. TheSystemHasFailed

After more poking around...

I can't get DreamLinux to recognize the parallels ethernet adapter at all.

I CAN, however, get VMWare Fusion to boot up and work with *its* ethernet adapter, and install DreamLinux...

Another nail in Parallels' coffin.....

5. hotblack

hotblack Member

Glad you got things partially working, but it seems many Linux VM's suffer from the same basic networking and power management problems.

Would be great to get a real solid comment from the company on these issues as they're being reported time and time again through the forum and official channels. Nothing yet though :(

6. TheSystemHasFailed

Well, VMWare fusion wasn't a panecea either... in it's case I got a kernel panic because DL couldn't boot the volume after it was created..

Christ... more half-arsed nonsense.

7. hotblack

hotblack Member

Ouch. Yeah, no solution will be perfect, but right now Fusion seems to be a LOT more compatible and straightforward. I'd also expect decent support from VMWare as they've been in teh business for years.

Meanwhile after a stellar start the Parallels lot now lie in their marketing material, ignore e-mails and can't provide any sort of proper support. Instead they're relying on customers being happy with being in perpetual Beta and feeling as if their on the cutting edge. My advice, stop adding features until the current ones work.

8. TheSystemHasFailed

hotblack,

Actually I got it to work. The VMWare SCSI driver is problematic with it.. but the VMWare IDE driver works like a snap.

So... ANOTHER nail in Parallels' coffin - at least as far as Linux guest OSes go. I applaud their trying to make Parallels do more than just Windows... but I think they're running into some serious issues that they need to hurry up and address.

9. hotblack

hotblack Member

Glad to hear you've got it fixed.

SWSoft have done a lot to push features around Windows into the hands of customers, but they have been severely lacking in Linux support for a long time and seem amazingly reluctant to address them.

As I've said elsewhere, instead of pushing feature after feature and living in eternal Beta (yet charging for it) it may be a good idea to solidify things, provide a stable product and support it properly. Currently they're failing on all 3 counts and failing to deliver a proper usable product. That was fine when they were the only product in the market and customers were drooling over the possibilities. But now there is competition and they need to prove themselves properly or people will stop trusting them and paying them for what are essentially bug fixes.