Driver Access Following Osx Reinstall

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by trowbridge1, Jul 3, 2007.

1. trowbridge1

trowbridge1 Bit poster

I just performed a reinstall of Mac OSX Tiger to clear up an audio problem. I used Archived settings mode and then performed a combined on-line update for OSX 10.4.10.

Following the reinstall (and unchanged since performing the combined update) is that I get the following message whenever I try to launch Parallels, which worked perfectly before the reinstall:

Parallels Desktop is unable to operate properly since it cannot communicate with one of its drivers. Try to restart the application to overcome this issue. If restart doesn't help, re-install Parallels Desktop. Note that Parallels drivers require a short time to be properly started and initialized. So you may need to wait a minute before trying to launch the application.

Restarting Parallels doesn't help and I need to access the Virtual Windows Machine without losing any of the data and am worried that is exactly what will happen if I perform a reinstall of Parallels. Can anyone help me resolve the problem?

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Try restarting ze Mac. If that fails, completely uninstall Parallels and re-install it. Just be sure to back up your .hdd file first. If you use BootCamp, nothing should be harmed with an uninstall.

3. trowbridge1

trowbridge1 Bit poster

Thanks for your response. I don't use BootCamp. I'm just running Parallels over OSX. Restarting the Mac did not work, as I should have mentioned earlier. What is the procedure for backing up the .hdd file since I can't access the Windows side of my computer? Will I be able to do a clean restore of the VM following the Parallels reinstall? What is the procedure for doing so?