Drivers ?!?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MikeFulton, May 20, 2011.

1. MikeFulton

MikeFulton Junior Member

I have some older Windows-based software that will not run properly on XP or later versions of Windows, so I have created a new VM and installed Windows ME.

However, once the installation was complete, I discovered that a number of devices in the VM did not have drivers installed. These are not external hardware devices, they are actually part of the basic virtual hardware. For example, there is no driver for the display so I am stuck with generic 16-color VGA.

Windows ME is on the list of supported guest operating systems, so I don't think it's too much to ask that Parallels provide drivers for their own virtualized hardware. It's not like you can go somewhere else for drivers.

I'm hoping maybe *MAYBE* that the situation is better with Windows 98SE and I'm hunting for an install CD now... in the meantime, anybody know anything about getting drivers going with WinME?

2. JuliaU

JuliaU Member

Hello,

Yes, indeed, Windows ME is listed as a supported guest operating system and that means that the system can be installed and operated properly. But in case we are talking about drivers to the system, you need to refer to the following part of User's Guide (I assume that you have Parallels Desktop 6):

http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v6/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/22575.htm

Parallels Tools can be installed in the following Windows guest operating systems:

* Windows 7
    * Windows Server 2008
    * Windows Vista
    * Windows XP
    * Windows Server 2003
    * Windows 2000

So unfortunately, there is no such thing as Parallels Tools (set of drivers) for Windows ME.

And there is only one driver - video driver - for Windows 98, so I guess this link might be helpful if you would like to continue with this:

http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v6/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/22573.htm

Hope it helps you somehow.