Dual Booting a VM

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by 1kyle, May 18, 2006.

1. 1kyle

1kyle Member

Not really sure why one would want to do this but is this in theory possible assuming the 2 OS'es have the same hardware assigned.

Using Partition manager or equivalent you can create a linux / Windows partition .
    I'm not sure how the boot mechanism works but in theory the 2nd OS should install just fine. GRUB should install it's MBR which can then select the "Virtual Partition" to boot.

I'll probably be mad enough to try this out but hopefully somebody can tell me it either definitly Works or Doesn't Work before I invest a lot of time in this.

Cheers

-K

2. 1kyle

1kyle Member

Tried it anyway -- works just fine

My VM now boots between Windows XP and another version of SUSE 10.0
    Create the Linux partition with Partition Magic on one of your virtual hard disks.

Anyway for others wanting to try dual booting a VM no probs.

Don't forget to install Parallels tools on the 2nd OS when booting it for the first time.

Cheers

-K

Last edited: May 19, 2006
  3. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

There could be one issue with this - we have only 1 guest OS type in VM configuration for 2 different guest OSes. Virtual envionment is depnds on guest OS type and could (or could not) be cause for some bugs and not optimal performance.