Dual safety setups?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by tranquillity, Nov 4, 2007.

1. tranquillity

tranquillity Bit poster

Hello.

I am currently running Mac OS X 10.4 on my Mac. Although frequent insisting from friends and articles that Mac is extremely safe and sound I am using my computer for things in need of security higher than normal use.

Currently I am using Clamxav as AntiVirus and Netbarrier as Firewall.

I am now thinking of installing Parallels Desktop to be able to use (internet using) applications only compatible with a windows platform. Now to my question:

Will I need to install a second safety barrier on the Parallel driven windows platform. Or will all the Parallel driven windows applications run through the Mac Safety environment?

It would feel weird having to run one set of antivirus/firewall on Mac and then a second on the Windows installation. Especially running in the new Coherence mode.

Tnx for your answer in advance
    //Mikael

2. tranquillity

tranquillity Bit poster

Anyone ?

Does anyone know ??

Or know where I can read about this

3. lmhagre

lmhagre Bit poster

Good Question, I would like to know as well. I don't plan on axcessing the internet from windows, but it would be nice to know what needs to be done to protect my computer other than what I am already doing.

4. ruel

ruel Member

This is what we do on our new Macbook where we are using Windows running under Parallels just about most of the time. Regarding the firewall, we just rely on the firewall that is already in Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger. (We still have to send in $10 to get the Mac OS X 10.5.x Leopard upgrade.) On our Macbook, I turn on that firewall on the Mac side and don't bother to install a new firewall. From our way of thinking, that also means for us that we don't install a firewall in Windows which is running under Parallels which is running under Mac OS X where the Mac's firewall provides the overall firewall protection. For antivirus and antispyware, we are using AVG for the antivirus and Spyware Terminator for the antispyware, but that is all under Windows. We do most of our work and internet-related activity using Firefox as the browser in Windows. We are also using the Anchorfree Hotspot Shield in Windows as a free VPN to further protect our internet connection. So, on the Mac side, we just make sure the firewall that is built into the Mac OS X is turned on. And then on the Windows side where we do most of our stuff, we have AVG (antivirus), Spyware Terminator (antispyware), and Anchorfree Hotspot Shield (VPN).

If you just do most of your stuff on the Mac side, you could probably settle for just turning on the firewall on the Mac side. Most people seem to say to not bother with having an antivirus on the Mac side because most REAL viruses and spyware are primarily in Windows. However, it's up to you as to what you want to use on the Mac side. For us, having Parallels running Windows (where we do most of our internet-related stuff) helps to contain any virus and spyware problems. We're pretty safe as to what we do on the internet, but you never know and since we're doing Windows then we have all that protection on the Windows side. Also, we're more used to windows but still want the Mac stuff for doing Mac stuff.