During disk(s) migrating an error has occured

Discussion in 'Parallels Transporter' started by GoHawks, Apr 12, 2007.

1. GoHawks

GoHawks Bit poster

I've been trying to use this product for the first time today with no luck. First I tried doing it all locally on my windows laptop and it fails almost instantly with this vague error message, During disk(s) migrating an error has occurred. I think once it made it to 1% but it usually dies even before this. It's an XP Professional SP2 systems, using about 11GB out of 80GB of total space. The system is a brand new HP laptop. Tons of CPU and memory.

I then tried to do it remotely using my MacbookPro as the initiator. I'm running Parallels 3150 RC 2. In this case it will run anywhere from 5 - 30 minutes before it fails with this error. The furthest I've seen it go is getting the image file up to around 600MB, maybe a bit more.

I've tried this over a wired 100Mb network and my WiFi 80211.g network and it makes no difference. I have also gone through and defragged my windows image, run check disk, rebooted multiple times and no luck

Here's the kicker part though that may be impacting me, though if it is I'm not sure why the failure location varies. This system is running encryption software to encrypt the entire hard drive, this software however is invisible to the running OS, everything works normal for me on that system and I don't even notice a performance hit from it. Since Transporter is working on the system up and running I'm hoping this encryption software is not the problem.

Anyways, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. GoHawks

GoHawks Bit poster

So I was playing with this some more today, just constantly restarting it, locally on the PC that I am trying to migrate. Doing this it seemed to vary it's failure point anywhere from 1% to about 10%. I then decided to nuke my virtual memory on the system and keep running defrag until I removed as much whitepace as possible from the image as possible. After that I rebooted and ran transporter again, this time it made it to 19% before dying, further than I've ever gotten before. Trying again now to see how it goes. Defragging half a dozen times seemed to help but still not there all the way.

3. GoHawks

GoHawks Bit poster

I tried another time and only got 19% again. So, I tried another couple of defrags and another reboot and now up to 23%. At this rate 19 defrags and reboots and it might finish.

Anyone have any idea what is going on here?

4. WinMac

WinMac Bit poster

NTFS and disk geometry

Hey GOHawks. Is that as in KU (Rock Chalk Jayhawk)? Anyway, have the same problem 1-5% and consistently failed. I was using the file system FAT32 as formatted (MS-DOS) on USB disk. Deleted the partition in windows, and then reformatted and converted to NTFS. After that it completed immediately first try after 20 failed attempts on FAT32. Something is defintely up there.

Afterwards now I have new problem, when moving the USB/Firewire disk back to MAC it gives an error that 'disk geometry cannot be determined'. Don't know what that is about, but doing some searching in the fourms for the answer.

Will let you know if I get any good leads.:confused:

5. GoHawks

GoHawks Bit poster

Actually it's for the Seattle Seahawks.

Hmmm, I'm trying to do this locally right now on the same machine, with an NTFS partition. Maybe I'll try to a USB NTFS partition.

6. transportpartner

transportpartner Bit poster

Got it working

Was trying to go from windows to mac with ethernet lead. It kept coming up with an error.

Figured I would try to get it working by making the image on XP machine. There was not enough space so I started coping files off. One file (picture) could not be copied, it was all messed up. I deleted this and then attempted the transport by using the app on the Macintosh side. It worked perfectly, once this file was removed.

If you are having problems, I recommend that you try to copy some of the files, if you have any errors, remove these files, as they are probably corrupted. These files are most likely causing issues during the migration. If windows is not able to copy them, then I suppose the transport agent will not any luck either.

All the best!:)

7. leekb

leekb Bit poster

Fixed by disconnecting the network entirely

I had all the same problems and tried all the suggestions above but what worked for me was disconnecting from the network entirely. I removed my wireless card and pulled out my network cable and was then able to create a bootable disk image. I then connected my network back up and manually copied the image over to my other machine.

8. jefmichaud

jefmichaud Bit poster

Here's what worked for me

My migration was stopping at 3% with the same error. I tried everything in this thread, and additionally contacted Parallels tech support, with no successful results.

Here's what finally worked, maybe this will for for you too:

1) Navigate to Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management.

2) Select the volume you are migration from, right click and choose Properties...

3) Go to the Tools tab and click the Error Checking/Check Now... button.

4) Enable both "Check disk" options.

5) If this is your boot volume, Windows will schedule the check to be done after the next boot.

6) Reboot.

7) Watch chkdsk run, it should be a five step operation. When I was doing this, chkdsk replaced a bad cluster in two files.

8) After you are booted up and logged in, run Transporter again.

9) Good luck.