Error Message -Cannot communicate with driver

Discussion in 'Parallels Website and Forum' started by SugarMama, Feb 15, 2008.

1. SugarMama

SugarMama Bit poster

Good morning. I have been running parallels for over 6 mths now and just over the past day - I am receiving a message: parallels desktop is unable to cooperate properly since it cannot communicate with one of its drivers. Seems that the drivers are inconsistent with the currently installed version of Parallels Desktop. To overcome this issue, reinstall Parallels Desktop and start it by selecting Finder-Applications-Parallels-Parallels.

I was offered a upgrade yesterday to my current version but I said to remind me later since I did not have my serial # handy. Since then I have been unable to operate my windows - Please help!
    -SugarMama

2. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

please tell me what build of Parallels and what version of Mac OS do you have.

Best regards,
    Stacey

3. SugarMama

SugarMama Bit poster

Error Message

Hey Stacey, Thanks for your reply.

I have Mac OS version: Mac OS X Version 10.4.11 Desktop with Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
    and My Parallels build is well I am not sure The disk says 'Parallels Desktop for Mac. I purchased the program in Aug07. If you have a personal email address I can email to you the Serial # for my software.

I sure appreciate your help, SugarMama

4. SugarMama

SugarMama Bit poster

Attn:Stacey M

Hi Stacey.
    Wondering if you may be able to help me to get my Parallels program back working for me. What if I were to delete it and reinstall? - Will that completely remove all of my Windos programs that I have set up.

Thanks in advance for your assistance, SugarMama

5. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello SugarMama,

Please sorry for the delay. Reinstall Parallels - this is supposed to help.

Best regards,
    Xenos

6. SugarMama

SugarMama Bit poster

Thank-you, SM

7. gameguy

gameguy Bit poster

I'm having this same problem. I'm running about as clean a system as can be. Here's what I did:

Mac Mini Core Duo/1GB RAM.

1) Wiped entire Mac HD
    2) Installed clean copy of Leopard from install DVD then all Software updates
    3) Installed Parallels 3.0 Build 5584. Parallels Updater says that's the latest version.
    4) Installed Windows XP from install CD
    5) Ran through all Windows updaters, including SP2 and everything else available.
    6) Installed AVG Free edition virus SW + updates
    7) Installed QuickBooks Premier + all QB auto updates.

Basically, my system is as clean as you can get while having anything installed. Here's the problem:

1) When I launched Parallels the first few times, it worked.
    2) After that, it refused to launch, giving me the "...cannot communicate with one of its drivers..." error.
    3) I follow the dialog box's recommendations and reinstall Parallels.
    4) Parallels launches fine again. Once.
    5) Next time I launch Parallels, I get the "...communicate..." error again
    6) Rinse & repeat from step 3

This has happened at least three times in 24 hours. I can't reinstall Parallels every time I want to launch it. Any ideas why this is this happening?

8. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Gameguy,

Please install the latest MacFUSE version. This software is used by Parallels and if it is outdated for the latest Mac OS X updates, some errors might appear.

Best regards,
    Xenos

9. Ephra

Ephra Member

got the same problem. Since an hour ago. never had this before.
    I do have the latest MacFuse...

10. Ephra

Ephra Member

...tried to uninstall parallels after repair permissions: icannot uninstall, because it says: 'you don't have parallels installed on your comuter'. What is this and how to resolve this??

Note: yesterday I did a archive & install due to a problem not concerning parallels. After this I could launch parrallels. But today I can't.

edit: problem solved

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  11. gameguy

gameguy Bit poster

Well, after being plagued with this problem for a few days, it seems to have gone away by itself, without updating MacFuse.

I ended up updating MacFuse recently anyway (can't hurt), but based on Ephra's comments, this doesn't seem to be the cause (or the only cause) of this problem. I'll comment if I have the same issue again...

12. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Member

I'm receiving the same error after having to re-install Parallels (again).

I tried all the suggestions in this thread yet can't get Parallels to start successfully.

Any other ideas?

13. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Member

Actually I'm all set. It did wind up being a permissions issue.

Is it typical to have to reinstall Parallels so often? Today was the fifth time in less than a year.

14. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Antivirus on Mac side?

15. hazardtomyself

hazardtomyself Bit poster

MacBook Pro

I just got the trial software today and it worked immediately after the initial installation. After the first reboot, I am now receiving the same error.

>>Parallels Desktop is unable to operate properly since it cannot communicate with one of its drivers. Try to restart the application to overcome this issue. If restart doesn't help, re-install Parallels Desktop. Note that Parallels drivers require a short time to be properly started and initialized. So you may need to wait a minute before trying to launch the application.<<

I activated and then had to reactivate (over the phone) my Windows OS and 2 software applications. I can't afford the time to keep reinstalling Parallels and then reactivate my Windows OS (XP) and apps. Having read through this thread, it doesn't appear there is any fix and multiple people have reported the same problem.

Is there a fix for this issue?

Thank you

hazardtomyself

16. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Did you try solutions in this thread?

17. hazardtomyself

Hi John,
    Yes. I did all in this thread. It's a new MacBook Pro. The install worked initially but then after the first reboot I received the error. I activated Windows, MS Office, and Photoshop after I setup BootCamp. After I installed Parallels, I had to reactivate those programs which was a pain because I couldn't do it via the Internet but only by phone. I can't reinstall and keep reactivating my applications. Thank you.

18. hazardtomyself

Hi John,
    FYI, I did reinstall Parallels and all appears to be working. Hopefully the reinstall did the trick for good. I'll let you know if there are any other problems.

A recommendation I have is that no Windows applications should be activated immediately after the BootCamp set up if Parallels is going to be used because you cannot activate Windows, MS Office, or Photoshop twice in one day.

Wait to activate the Windows programs until after you install Parallels. This would have been nice to know in the User Setup Manual.

Thank you.

19. ssconative

ssconative Bit poster

cannot communicate with driver

I have the same problem as hazardtomyself and have re-installed several times and still can't get past the error message ">>Parallels Desktop is unable to operate properly since it cannot communicate with one of its drivers. Try to restart the application to overcome this issue. If restart doesn't help, re-install Parallels Desktop. Note that Parallels drivers require a short time to be properly started and initialized. So you may need to wait a minute before trying to launch the application.<< I also loaded latest MacFUSE version
    What else can I try?

20. ssconative

ssconative Bit poster

More errors

Now I am getting this message after re-installing <Unable to open device/file Default CD/DVD-ROM> following that I get <A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart> upon doing that this message reappears over and over again. Any help would be appreciated.