Error Message: System extension with signature from "Parallels International GmbH" is not compatible

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by HC_3, Jan 28, 2023.

1. HC_3

HC_3 Hunter

today i got this macos error message when i started my parallel windows 10 vm:

"Older system extension Software on your system has a
    system extension with signature from "Parallels International GmbH"
    which is not compatible will not be compatible with future
    compatible with future versions of macOS.
    Contact the developer the developer for assistance."

the apple internet site behind the link "more info" in the message did not provide any further clarification for me:
    https://support.apple.com/de-de/HT210999

in the last few days / weeks i have not made any change to the configuration of my macos, parallels or windows vm.

who can tell me why the message is coming now, what it means exactly and whether there is a need for me to take action?

(my configuration: mbp 2019 intel, macos 13.1 ventura, parallels desktop 18.1.1 pro, vm: windows 10 pro.)

2. Pavel Merkulov

Pavel Merkulov Parallels Team

Hello.
    Thank you for your feedback.

On Mac computers with Intel processors, Parallels Desktop uses its system extensions to provide you with the best performance, functionality, and seamless experience. Parallels works closely with AppleĀ® to ensure that Parallels Desktop continues to function in future releases of macOS.

Starting with macOS Big Sur, you can switch from Parallels to Apple system extensions:

1. Shut down the virtual machine via Actions > Shut Down.
    2. Open the virtual machine's configuration (click Parallels Desktop icon on the Mac menu bar > Control Center > right click on the virtual machine > Configure).
    3. Go to Hardware > CPU & Memory > Advanced Settings > and change Hypervisor to Apple.

You can read more information in the article: https://kb.parallels.com/en/124907

3. HC_3

HC_3 Hunter

thank you for your advice, @Pavel Merkulov

however, after changing the hypervisor from parallels to apple, i noticed a much higher load on my mbp (ram, cpu temperature, ventilation). so the typical signs before it crashes due to overload.

now i have switched the hypervisor back to parallels (with "higher memory limit" checked). and it seems to be working fine again.

however, the article mentioned says: "Existing software on your system loaded a system extension signed by "Parallels International GmbH" which will be incompatible with a future version of macOS."

does this mean that this setting could become a problem in the future?

4. BenM3

BenM3 Bit poster

The error message that appeared on your Mac indicates that a system extension, installed on your macOS system by Parallels Desktop, may not be compatible with future versions of macOS. This could result in the system extension not working properly or causing issues with your macOS or Parallels Desktop installation in the future.
    The system extension is associated with "Parallels International GmbH," which suggests that it is connected to Parallels Desktop or one of its components. It is possible that the extension was installed when you recently updated Parallels Desktop or made other changes to your system. To resolve the issue, you should get in touch with Parallels International GmbH or visit their support website for assistance. They can offer more details about the system extension and advise you on whether any action is needed on your part. Keeping your system and software updated is always a good idea to ensure that you have the latest security patches and bug fixes. You should also check for updates to Parallels Desktop and any other software you use on your macOS and Windows virtual machine to make sure you are running the latest versions.