Error 'The virtual machine cannot be started due to a critical error'

Discussion in 'Windows Guest OS Discussion' started by Om_Prakash, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Om_Prakash

Om_Prakash Bit poster

Error 'The virtual machine cannot be started due to a critical error' message on Parallels Workstation 6x while starting VM.

Tried article: http://kb.parallels.com/6147 did not worked.

Any fix??

2. Flaviod

Flaviod Bit poster

Same problem here. Started a trial and the first VM I tried gave me that.
    "The virtual machine cannot be started due to a critical error.
    Contact the Parallels support team for assistance."
    But trial keys doesn't seem to allow me to have a support code... so, how could I follow the error message suggestion and "contact the Parallels support team for assistance"?

Is there some log file giving more details about the error?

3. debriw

debriw Bit poster

Just installed on Windows 7 and getting this error

I just installed the latest version of Parallels Workstation on Windows 7 (completely patched and updated to the latest) and am getting this error when I try to create a new VM. I have tried Windows 8 and Windows XP as the guest OS, one from ISO and one from CD, with both failing with this error. I can't find any logs, either in the ProgramData folder or in the Event Log and there is no ID or anything attached to the message, just to contact Parallels support. When I click OK it just closes the dialog.

Has there been any information about solving this problem?

Brian Wood

4. DFLORESG

DFLORESG Bit poster

Try using "vm.app_mode=32" in the boot flag. It solved my problem.

5. 360shoess

360shoess Bit poster

fdsfsfsf

Has there been any information about solving this problem www.360shoes.org

6. Stefan Lisowski

Stefan Lisowski Junior Member

solved for me

I had this exact problem, I thought it was due to running a disk compress (which deleted the disk somehow! back up disks before doing compress y'all out there) but I don't think that had anything to do with it.

I was remote desktopped into Windows running Parallels Workstation. But I was not running from the /admin (or in older versions /console) session. So every single VM I tried gave me this critical error. But then when I logged in to Session 0 with "hostname /admin", I was able to start up my VMs. (my host computer is Windows 2003 server, VMs are Windows 7, 8, Centos, Fedora, Ubuntu, XP, etc

(This took me a while to figure out, because I often administer my VMs in a non-admin session using Parallels Workstation client, after they were already started by the admin session...)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013