Error with Ubuntu 20

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by David100, Mar 11, 2022.

1. David100

David100 Bit poster

Hi everyone! I've just installed Ubuntu 20.04 on my Parallels because I need it to run ROS. When I try to update the repository or when I install programs (like, for example, Pycharm), the next time I start the VM, it doesn't work anymore and I must uninstall it. I really need support because I need it for my master thesis. This is the error that I get:

Press ESCAPE for boot options EPI stub: Booting Linux Kernel.
    EPI stub: EPI_RNG_PROTOCOL unavailable
    EFI stub: ERROR: FIRMARE BUG: kernel image not aligned on 64k boundary
    PI stub: ERROR: FIRMARE BUG: Image SS over laps adjacent EFI memory region
    EFI stub: Using DIB from configuration table
    EFI stub: Exiting boot services and installing virtual address nap.

Thank you! Best regards.

2. M.L2

M.L2 Bit poster

Best Answer
    It seems the problem is with the Linux kernel 5.13.0-35. I could use the VM again using kernel 5.13.0-25. It can be changed at startup in "advanced options for ubuntu". I still had the old kernel after the breaking kernel update, but it seems for new VMs there is only the newer kernel.
    The error message still appears, but the vm starts.

3. MattPackwood

MattPackwood Member

I am also having this error, and based on the issue I see UTM has closed below I think it is "systematic"...

Screen Shot 2022-03-13 at 12.01.44 PM.png

4. DanielF15

DanielF15 Bit poster

Same problem here with various versions of Ubuntu.
    If the VM boots after the initial installation, it should be possible to mark the kernel as held so it doesn't get upgraded automatically:

sudo apt-mark hold linux-generic linux-image-generic linux-headers-generic

If there already are some installed kernel versions that don't work, removing the bad ones from /boot and running update-grub will also avoid manually choosing the working kernel at every boot.

5. AntonisT

AntonisT Bit poster

Yeah, same here. It seems that the only workaround for the time being is to modify grub to use the previous version as a default.

6. TomaszD1

TomaszD1 Bit poster

Add me to the list.

7. denisd4

denisd4 Bit poster

also have the same problem after upgrade ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS to last version

upload_2022-3-14_17-34-27.png

when I reinstall vm to new system also get this error

8. MattPackwood

MattPackwood Member

Do you have specifics?

9. Jacob15

Jacob15 Bit poster

I am also getting this error. Glad to see I am not the only one.

10. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hello!
    First, thank you a lot for reporting the issue to us.
    We've reproduced the issue locally and involved our colleagues from the R & D department to look at the issue and try fixing it.
    We'll let you know once we have any updates!

BenjaminB15, JeffH26 and David100 like this.
  11. M.L2

M.L2 Bit poster

Best Answer
    It seems the problem is with the Linux kernel 5.13.0-35. I could use the VM again using kernel 5.13.0-25. It can be changed at startup in "advanced options for ubuntu". I still had the old kernel after the breaking kernel update, but it seems for new VMs there is only the newer kernel.
    The error message still appears, but the vm starts.

12. AntonisT

AntonisT Bit poster

I've followed this guide.
    However, if you are not familiar with terminal, you can press Esc during boot and select the older kernel version manually. Ubuntu always keeps the previous version available. You might also want to stop updating Ubuntu until Parallels comes with a solution, in case another kernel version comes out.

Mikhail Ushakov likes this.
  13. SteveWy

SteveWy

In case it is of any significance, also getting this on M1 Mac mini with the 20.04.2 ARM64 release following initial VM creation and Linux updates. Latest Parallels 17 release. Parallels Toolbox not installed on this occasion in case that was causing an issue.
    upload_2022-3-15_14-9-5.png

14. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, it is an ongoing issue. The cases have been escalated to developers, and they're researching the ways how to address them. As a temporary workaround please create a new Linux Ubuntu VM from appliance and do not update it. Alternatively, feel free to downgrade the kernel to 5.13.0-25.

15. liuxg

liuxg Bit poster

I also had the same issue here. If anyone finds a solution, please let me know. thanks

16. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, it is an ongoing issue. The cases have been escalated to developers, and they're researching the ways how to address them. As a temporary workaround please create a new Linux Ubuntu VM from appliance and do not update it. Alternatively, feel free to downgrade the kernel to 5.13.0-25.

MagneA likes this.
  17. RogerS14

RogerS14 Bit poster

I'm getting this on kernel 5.4.0-104-generic (or at least I think that was it). It boots fine with 5.4.0.100-generic

BenjaminB15 likes this.
  18. DominicL4

DominicL4 Bit poster

Same issue with me. After "apt upgrade" on Ubuntu 20.04, "yum update" under Fedora 35, it no longer boots.
    I doubt if it is due to the recent Linux kernel mitigation on Dirty Pipe as well as container security fix...

19. DominicL4

DominicL4 Bit poster

Forgot to mention that this issue also under the recent update of Fedora 36 (both Ubuntu 20.04 and Fedora 36 are runnning in ARM64). So, I really suspect that it is due to the recent Linux kernel fix of dirty pipe and container...

20. HoshiY

HoshiY Bit poster

I have the same error but not after installation, but after running "apt update & apt dist-upgrade".
    Options in the thread resolve the issue anyway ;)

21. JulienD6

JulienD6 Bit poster

Same problem here! Cannot install Ubuntu Server 20.04 from ISO...