Even more Coherence

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Narin, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Narin

Narin Junior Member

Okay I hate to even suggest anything considering the incredible growing list of improvements already, but here goes:

You're so close to having Windows apps "feel" like mac apps with coherence, especially with the new dock icons. What I might suggest is:

1. Two instances of the same process should not generate two icons in the dock

For instance, if I run notepad twice, I see two notepad icons in my dock. In mac-world, you'd never have two running Notepad processes, but this is common in windows.

2. When in Coherence, capture Command-H and Command-~ shortcut keys

For instance, say two instaces of notepad.exe were running:

Command-H would minimize all windows owned by both instances of notepad.exe.
    Command-~ would switch between all windows owned by both instances of notepad.exe.

3. When in Coherence, automatically tweak XP to allow focus stealing

When you Command-Tab switch to a running windows app, or click on it's dock icon, in XP this will do nothing except flash the taskbar. You can make this functional by running TweakUI, but it would be great if Parallels Tools did this automatically!

2. PubGuy

PubGuy Hunter

Well, as another user of Parallels, here's my thoughts regarding these suggestions

#1 ) That's the way Windows works, you have 2 or more separate programs running. If Parallels combined it to one icon, it wouldn't know which instance you wanted to get to.
    #2) CMD-H hides the application the has the focus, if doesn't minimize it (think Coherence mode, not Windows mode).
    #3) This is a user-type personal preference and if someone wants to chane Windows to act they way, they would have to do that themselves.