Excessive disk activity when resuming - slows entire machine down!

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by PatL, Jul 2, 2010.

1. PatL

PatL Junior Member

Aside from the established and as-yet-unresolved clipboard hanging problem, one thing that's been bothering me ever since I upgraded to Parallels 5 has been that my entire MacBook Pro slows down to a crawl whenever I resume a suspended Virtual Machine: in my case, a very simple Windows XP installation (which I have used for the past several versions of Parallels without issue).

I have iStat Menus which shows me my CPU and disk activity. When Parallels is resuming a virtual machine from a suspended state it takes about 5 minutes. During this time it's impossible to do any other function on the machine, since the mouse will become unresponsive and the cursor would intermittently turn into a beach ball. The CPU monitor always stays low, but the disk activity lights indicate a lot of read/write activity. Whatever is happening, it is to such an extent that it bogs my entire computer down. It's worth noting that this issue never happened with any previous version of Parallels. Back then, I could still browse the web and do other tasks while Parallels is resuming a machine in the background. Those days are gone, which is funny since Parallels 5 is being touted as being much faster than previous versions. My experience has indicated otherwise unfortunately.

2. itry2hide

itry2hide Bit poster

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.