"Exclude Dock" option missing

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Tony Carreon, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Tony Carreon

Tony Carreon Hunter

in previous versions of parallels (at least 4 and 5) there was the option when using coherence to define the working area to include/exclude the dock area putting the windows taskbar either above the dock (exclude) or behind the dock (don't exclude).

this option appears to be missing in v6. the only option is to exclude the dock area (putting the windows startbar floating above the dock) - seems to be parallels way of pushing crystal instead of coherence.

am i missing the option in another section or is it gone now and the only choice is to exclude the dock area?

parallels 6.0.11822

Attached Files:

2. frrrrunkis

frrrrunkis Bit poster

Yea, I'm OCD about some things, and it's bugging the hell out of me to have things near the bottom of the screen and have them cut off above the dock, I want this feature back, or at least a workaround hack to fix it.

3. sergk

sergk Parallels Developers

Hi, Tony and frrrrunkis

1) Please send Problem Report (via Help menu) and post it's ID here.
    2) What was your 'Exclude Dock' option value in Parallels Desktop 5? On or Off?
    3) There is workaround to change 'Exclude Dock' option in Parallels Desktop 6:
    - Find your Virtual Machine file (.pvm) in Finder (you may find it by 'Command + left click' on Virtual Machine window's title.
    - Shutdown your Virtual Machine and quit from Parallels Desktop.
    - Right click on .pvm file and choose 'Show Package Contents'.
    - Open 'config.pvs' with TextEdit.
    - Find string like <ExcludeDock>0</ExcludeDock>.
    - Change value from 0 to 1 for enable 'Exclude Dock' option or change value from 1 to 0 for disable it.
    - Save file and start Parallels Desktop again.
    4) Post your results here.

4. Tony Carreon

Tony Carreon Hunter

reported "problem"

previously i excluded the dock so that the taskbar would sit behind the dock. after upgrading to parallels 6, this option was no longer available. the workaround posted by sergk worked.

5. Roblacker

Roblacker Bit poster

The trick posted by sergk worked for me. I changed the config file, saved it, and before I had a chance to restart parallels it simply applied the updated setting. Thanks for the help!

Personally I like to keep my windows task bar docked to the left side of the screen so as it does not interfere with the Mac dock and doesn't take up additional space at the bottom of the screen. However, without the ability to disable this option I had a space beneath the task bar that was the height of my dock (even though they do not touch) and didn't do anything other than simply annoy me to death.

I would be grateful to have this setting added back to the configuration options UI.