Exporting Parallels console via VNC?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by shubb, Nov 19, 2007.

1. shubb

shubb Junior Member

Is there a way to export the console of a Parallels guest to VNC? VMware has the ability to do this. You have to add a couples lines to the configuration, and then you can connect to the host IP on the specified port, and you now have the same screen that you would see on the local app, but remotely via VNC.

The reason I'm asking for this, is because I have a Mac Pro in my lab that has 10 VMs running in it. I need to access them remotely, and I do not want to use VNC or RDC on the guest because I am doing networking tests where the client often gets disconnected from the network. When you are VNC'ing to the guest console, it doesn't matter if the client is disconnected from the network because the host (Mac Pro) is running the VNC session, not the guest.

I know that I can use ARD to connect to the host, but when using ARD, to view another desktop, it gets really slow, and the resolution is small and fuzzy.

I would be thrilled if Parallels would add this to Desktop for Mac.

2. gegervision

gegervision Hunter

If you are using Bridged Networking it should not be an issue. I use Chicken of the VNC on OSX and UltraVNC from my server to connect when needed to my my Guest OS all the time and vice versa. You have to Parallels running in order to do this of course (I'm not sure how VMWare does it). You just need to install your VNC server on your Guest OS and configure the port. You then need to do an ipconfig /all at the command prompt within your Guest OS to get it's IP address. After that you can connect all day.

I'm not sure if I answered your questions correctly but I hope this info helps.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  3. shubb

shubb Junior Member

No, that is not what I am asking for. In my testing, I need to connect to the guest machine, even if the network is not available. If I were to use a VNC server on the guest, I would be disconnected as soon as the client loses network connectivity. Essentially, what VMware does is gives you a constant console connection to the guest the instant it is "powered on". You even see the bootup/shutdown/reboot process. You cannot do that with what you suggest.

What I want is really a new feature from Parallels to mirror what VMware already has.