External HDD set up/configuration in parallels/Windows 10

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by stephenk14, Dec 29, 2021.

1. stephenk14

stephenk14 Bit poster

I would be grateful of any advice from users on how i should configure an external HDD for use in parallels 17 running windows 10 on an iMac/Monterey OS X.
    The situation i have is that the external USB 3.1 (Thunderbolt) drive - a Samsung X5 is being recognised on boot up by OS X (appears on desktop) BUT it is not recognised by Windows 10 (not found in file explorer). If i eject the drive in OS X the external HDD then appears in Windows 10 disk management BUT it has no drive path assigned to it and cant be accessed until i assign a new drive path. The issue is that the drive path is lost everytime i restart the system. The external HDD is only used for storing games to run in windows so I have tried changing the format from EX FAT to NTFS but the problem remains.

One thing that I am not sure about is whether the external HDD should be configured as a USB device or a hard disk - i note that both these options are available in parallels configuration.

I am on a 14 day trial of Parallels and feel i may have to revert back to bootcamp although that system had its own unique problems hence why i am tryign parallels.

2. GampaA@P

GampaA@P Pro

Hello @stephenk14, please follow the below steps to configure external hard disk
    1. Shutdown Windows.
    2. Open Finder and go to your VM location (see the pic above).
    3. Copy the. pvm file and paste it to the new location (such as your external drive).
    4. Double-click on the. pvm file in the new location to re-register your VM.

3. stephenk14

stephenk14 Bit poster

Thank you for you response. I cant see a pic in your response?

4. GampaA@P

GampaA@P Pro