EyeTV 3 on Mohave 10.14.6 under PDT

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Rossh51, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Rossh51

Rossh51 Member

Trying to use this configuration on my Catalina 10.15.2 iMac. Although I have run EyeTV 3 for years including under Mohave I cannot get it to run using a Mohave VM (not happy with 64bit EyeTV4 so want to use this). The software crashes when it attempts to start the TV window. Tried various configurations without success so maybe the EyeTV hardware it is not compatible with PDT.
    Is anyone here successfully running EyeTV 3 under PDT? Any specific changes to get it to run?

2. Toddyb

Toddyb Bit poster

I saw someone suggest virtualisation, so before even considering going to Catalina, I created a Mohave VM to try EyeTV 3, but I'm experiencing the same problem :( Software crashes as soon as it opens a TV window, including when I tried to play an existing EyeTV recording.

3. Guys, please sorry for the delay in response.
    Could you collect the tech report data once the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here.
    We need it for the further issue investigation.

4. WilliamL6

WilliamL6 Bit poster

EyeTV 3 *does not work* in a macOS Parallels VM. The app requires 2d/3D acceleration to work and Parallels does not have access to the APIs to have this. EyeTV 3 will give the same crash report if you try to launch it in Safe Mode on you Mac for the same reason: 2d/3D acceleration is not available in Safe Mode.

In my opinion, it's time to abandon EyeTV. Genitech did a horrible, cash grab version 4 and has seem only to abandon the product right after release. Look for an alternate TV tuner and convert any video you have to an mp4.

5. WilliamL6

WilliamL6 Bit poster

To add to my previous post, although EyeTV 3 *does not work* in a macOS Parallels VM, your physical EyeTV TV tuner may very well work (in my case, the EyeTV One definitely does) with a Windows 10 Parallels VM and alternative software like NextPVR. NextPVR is freeware and works with 3rd party TV tuners; it can replace the functionality of the EyeTV 3 software on Windows. They do have a version for the Mac, but it does not yet support atsc digital tuners.

6. Toddyb

Toddyb Bit poster

Thanks for the useful information. I'll probably end up ditching EyeTV (although it's been our households main way to watch tv for many years now) and get my hands on a HDHomeRun.

7. ChrisTom

ChrisTom Bit poster

I can confirm I have EyeTV 3 running fine in a High Sierra VM with Parallels for quite some time. Nothing special needed to do this. I have it working on an iMac 2019 with Catalina and PD16. Since High Sierra is just becoming unsupported, I have just updated to Mojave. Again, no problem, except the nagging.
    EyeTV works pretty well. The EyeTV Archive folder can be on a shared drive. There's a little audio delay, but generally it is good.

Toddyb likes this.
  8. Toddyb

Toddyb Bit poster

So I tried this again, on a new Mojave VM (on my iMac) and reinstalled EyeTV3 ..and.. it worked! I tried it a few times yesterday, successfully tuning, recording etc.
    BUT for an unknown reason, when I tried it again today, the EyeTV app crashes on start up, every time, again and again. So I'm back to trouble shooting that if I want it to be a long term solution (ie if/when I want to upgrade my OSX and/or iMac). But at least I know it can work, so thank's for that.

9. ChrisTom

ChrisTom Bit poster

Odd. I'm not sure why you're having problems. I don't reboot it much, but I've done it a few times to test with Mojave, and all is still fine. All I can do is tell you a bit about my config.
    Processors: 8
    Memory: 4096 MB
    Hypervisor: Parallels
    Adaptive Hypervisor: Off
    Graphics Memory: 1GB
    Resolution: Scaled

10. Rossh51

Rossh51 Member

ChrisTom...many thanks for posting your setup. I had given up on this but decided to try your setup with my VM. It works!. Experimenting with the changes I needed...RAM, Hypervisor and Resolution, I have established that the critical difference is the Resolution must be set as scaled. RAM setting and Hypervisor type can be different. Might help someone else. Thanks again.

Toddyb likes this.