F8 and shift-F8 not being registered in Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by joeyconnick, Jun 30, 2016.

1. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Bit poster

So I have Parallels on two different Macs.

On one, my laptop, I'm running Windows 7 in Parallels and if I hit F8 or Shift-F8, it is registered properly in the Windows game I'm running and whatever is supposed to happen in the game when you hit F8 or Shift-F8 happens as expected.

On the other, my desktop, I'm running Windows 10 in Parallels and if I hit F8 or Shift-F8 in the same game, nothing happens... the keypress is simply not recognized.

On both computers, I have "Send OS X system shortcuts" set to "Auto" and on both computers, F8 and Shift-F8 are NOT assigned to any shortcuts for the Mac side of things.

So... does anyone have any ideas why on my desktop machine running Windows 10 in Parallels, the F8 and Shift-F8 keypresses aren't getting registered and what I can do to change that?

I get that F9, F10, F11 don't work in the game because those are assigned to various Mission Control things for the Mac. But F1 to F7 work in the Windows game perfectly while F8 just doesn't seem to exist... on my desktop. On my laptop, it works as you would expect.

2. Sasti@Parallels

Sasti@Parallels Parallels Support

joeyconnick likes this.
  3. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Bit poster

Okay, that seems to be working as a workaround. I'd still really like to know why the regular keys won't work, though.

4. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

In Mac, F8-F12 key is by default shortcuts assigned, Fn key for F8 combination is reserved for the Spaces utility, please refer this for more information.

5. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Bit poster

Yes... maybe you didn't see the part of my report of the issue where I noted that in Parallels on one machine, F8 and Shift-F8 work great, but on another, they don't? I've disabled the Mission Control default shortcuts for F8 on both Macs, so again, I don't understand why F8 won't work on my one instance but will on my other.