Failed to configure the Boot Camp partition's hard disk.

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by CatherineG, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Kelsjon

Kelsjon Bit poster

Okay i'm completely new to this site and aren't even sure how to post properly, so I'm adding to this thread in the hope of help. Basically I'm an idiot. I wanted to re-partition my bootcamp so I went with a guys suggestion on youtube of going into disk utilities and moving the partition, decreasing mac and increasing windows. His instructions were then to restart in windows, download partition wizard (I installed the latest one - 8) and then go to Bootcamp Extend. Then extend to the unallocated space. Simple. It then asks you to re-start your computer, I did this and hello my windows has gone. Um….
    I figure I'm pretty screwed, mainly because I'm a design student using Revit and Auto Cad and have lost ALL my files.
    I know I'm probably completely dreaming but is there a solution out there somewhere for recovery of Windows 7 files. Or do I start sending letters to my tutors now begging for extensions?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know very little about windows.

Thanks so much,
    Kelly

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Since you are not using Parallels, at all, yes, it's the wrong site.

However, I recommend you download a Linux Live CD capable of reading Windows partitions (NTFS) to recover the files to an external drive.

The partition is still likely there, next, my suggestion is that you run the Windows DVD and do a repair install of Windows, maybe this will fix it.

Finally the safest way to deal with Bootcamp is always thru Bootcamp assistant.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  3. MassimoP1

MassimoP1 Bit poster

I had the same problem.
    After lots of research I was about to give up but then I tried disabling Tuxera NTFS that I thought it was somehow blocking the access of the Boot Camp partition.
    Rebooted the Mac and it worked like a charm.
    Hope this helps.

Max

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello, It seems that you're on outdated build of Parallels Desktop 11, please update Parallels Desktop to the latest build 11.1.0 (32202). You can update to the latest build as suggested in this article. Latest version always available here: http://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd11/ Please note that Parallels Tools also needs to be updated (Actions > Update Parallels Tools). Please see this article to know more about Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac updates summary.

5. DavidL14

DavidL14 Bit poster

Holy hell you fixed my problem! anyone with tuxera NTFS uninstall it now, as it mounts the bootcamp drive instead of OSX meaning parallels can't see it. Took me 2 hours to get to this but thank you so much!

6. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

Hello @DavidL14,
    Glad to hear that, feel free to reach out anytime.

7. DavidP13

DavidP13 Bit poster

Also, go to Finder and inside the left thread find your Boot Camp Partition under Devices category (mine was called Windows 10) and eject it :)