"Failed to connect to Excel"

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by tonydenson, May 15, 2007.

1. tonydenson

tonydenson Member

I am running a product called Sage Accounting via Parallels. All works fine except when I try to export data to Excel and I get the above error message. I have the Mac version of Office installed and now I suspect that if I installed the Windows version on Parallels it would work, but I don't want to duplicate the disk space required, or potentially run into issues of confusion with two versions installed. Any ideas on this error ?

Tony

2. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

can you save the data as a new file in a shared folder?

and open it with the mac app afterwards

Hugh W

3. tonydenson

tonydenson Member

No, Sage doesn't allow that

4. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

Imagine that you have a Macintosh sitting on your desk. And imagine that you have a PC sitting beside it which runs Windows XP. Assume that the two are connected via an ethernet cable. Now all you have to do is to figure out how to run your Windows program and cause it to go across the ethernet cable to open excel on your Macintosh. Once you can do that, the same approach should work using Parallels.

Having said that, there are tantalizing hints that a future release of Parallels may allow you to open files on one platform with an application on the other platform. Unfortunately, you cannot buy unreleased software.

5. MacMartin

MacMartin Bit poster

Could this be something to do with the network connection?

If it is, then I've got a similar problem. When WinXP/Parallels is running and connected to the office server, the OSX connection gets dropped occasionally. When this happens MS Word and Excel on OSX go mental ('Cant connect...').Only work-around is to re-connect OSX and re-launch Word/Excel.

I would really like to know how to stabilise the network connection in both WinXP and OSX.

6. MacMartin

MacMartin Bit poster