Failed to create a bootable disk image file for this version of macOS.

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration' started by DaveP10, Dec 6, 2021.

1. DaveP10

DaveP10 Bit Poster

Hello all,

Any ideas on why I keep getting this message? I am running out of ideas and cannot get any answers from support.
    I had to rebuilt my mac system from scratch and reinstalled + re-added the license. I am on macOS Monterey 12.01 and trying to create a new Big Sur instance on 11.6.1. The .app installer is sitting in /Applications and I've downloaded directly from Apple, so I can confirm that it is clean. Yet, I am still getting this error within the Installation Assistant right after I select the .app and click Continue.

Any ideas would be very helpful on how to resolve.

Thank you!

2. DougD

DougD Bit Poster

Stuck in same boat. Did you ever figure this out?

3. CloudDude

CloudDude Bit Poster

I had the same issue. In my case, the error occurred when trying to directly create a macOS VM whose OS version is not natively supported on my physical underlying Mac hardware. For example trying to directly create/install macOS Monterey on a Mac Pro 2010 produced this error.'

I figured out I could instead first (1) Create a macOS VM using the last version natively supported by the underlying hardware then (2) upgrade the OS within the VM thereafter. Using the same example, first created a macOS Mojave VM, then upgraded the OS within the VM to Monterey 12.3.1.

4. CloudDude

CloudDude Bit Poster

Additional note about this in-place OS upgrade process. From my experience, upgrading the VM from macOS Mojave to Monterey went fine, but at one point during the upgrade it displayed an icon of a circle with a slash going through it with a link about macOS startup. But after some time it rebooted and continued the upgrade process. My suspicion was that page was related to attempted firmware upgrades which weren't needed.

5. DebasmitaM@Parallels

DebasmitaM@Parallels Staff Member

Hello, please let us know if the issue is resolved. If not, kindly help us with the screenshot of the error.