Failed to open the Parallels networking module

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by BlueCrow, Nov 11, 2008.

1. BlueCrow

BlueCrow Junior Member

Jsut upgrade to v4. It has been a nightmare going on three hours now. Networking worked at first. Then I restarted the Mac and now I just keep getting this message. I have done what it says to no avail.

Failed to open the Parallels networking module.

Your virtual machine will continue to work normally, but the networking will be disabled. You can fix the problem by restoring the default network settings. To this effect, go to Parallels Desktop > Preferences > Network and click Restore Defaults.

2. Tobimahony

Tobimahony Bit poster

Yes, also the same.

And my second BootCamp-System don't start with hdd and network after reboot.

3. Pixeljugger

Pixeljugger Member

I have the same problem. Bootcamp XP SP3 partition.

On top of it is followed by a problem that "Harddisk 1" can not be mounted. It tells me I do not have "privileges", respectively the device is used by a "different process".
    I can install a new Virtual Machine, just runs fine, no issues with "privileges". I reinstall Parallels Tools, reboot and shit hits the fan and the above problems occur.

Parallels 3 just worked like a charm. 4 has been a nightmare since this noon.

4. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Could you please send a problem report using menu "Help -> Report a Problem" and post a number of problem report here?

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

NTFS-3G, Paragon NTFS driver?

6. Pixeljugger

Pixeljugger Member

I send in a report: id 9711

7. Pixeljugger

Pixeljugger Member

How does one check that? I did not install any third party NTFS drivers, just the stuff the came with Windows / Bootcamp.

I deleted all my old Virtual Machines and the ones I created today. Basically starting all fresh.
    At least I do not get that HD problem anymore. My Network problems persist.

8. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

You see the error: "Failed to open the Parallels networking module. Your virtual machine will continue to work normally, but the networking will be disabled. You can fix the problem by restoring the default network settings. To this effect, go to Parallels Desktop > Preferences > Network and click Restore Defaults." when you start VM. In Guest OS cable is unplugded. If you click 'Restore Defaults' and 'Connect' in VM Network Adapter configuration nothing changes and you still getting this error.

Most probably prl_netbridge.kext was not loaded. Please restart your Mac or load this driver and check 'Connect' in VM Network Adapter configuration, start VM:

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/prl_netbridge.kext/

9. Pixeljugger

Pixeljugger Member

I manually connected the LAN Adapter and fixed the LAN in the Windows network properties. It survived two reboots so far.

Thanks for the help.

10. plazmyd

plazmyd Junior Member

Any suggestions for a fix Parallels moderator?

11. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

12. dpcreative@dpcreative.com

dpcreative@dpcreative.com Bit poster

To load that driver copy the line of code above and paste it into a Terminal window (it'll prompt you for your user password for OS X).
    This worked for me.

David

13. Tobimahony

Tobimahony Bit poster

What's with the HDD1-problem for bootcamp? How can I fix it?

14. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Most likely it is a problem with locked Bootcamp partition either due to previous start of VM or by caused by third-party driver. Issue with VM will be fixed in the next update. But for now it is either required to reboot the Mac or may help restart of parallels services by doing from Terminal command line next two commands:

sudo killall prl_disp_service
    sudo launchctl start com.parallels.desktop.launchdaemon

PS: It may be that some third-party NTFS driver like Paragon NTFS has mounted Bootcamp partition. In this case it is required to somehow eject (unmount) mounted Bootcamp volume

15. Tobimahony

Tobimahony Bit poster

It doesn't work for me. Restart not and terminal commands not.

16. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

We've just created a knowledge base article about this problem. It should help.

http://kb.parallels.com/en/5734

17. jkroll

jkroll Bit poster

Typing the code provided into Terminal worked for me on the network module issue.

18. kboggs

kboggs Bit poster

Still no netoworking for me...

Tried restarting and the terminal fix. Indicates that the kext file is already loaded. Still no go. Still get the same message. Any ideas?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  19. kboggs

kboggs Bit poster

I don't see anything in that KB article about the networking issue. Am I missing something?

20. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<