Failure to recognize VRAM and Quartz Extreme

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by viola, Nov 21, 2017.

1. viola

viola Hunter

I'm attempting to install Final Cut Studio 3 (specifically Soundtrack Pro) on macOS 10.12.6, but the installer comes back with an error:
    Alert
    • Final Cut Studio Installer requires that your system have 128 MB of VRAM; this system has only 0 MB of VRAM.
    • Final Cut Studio Installer requires that your system have a Quartz Extreme capable video card.

I have increased the VRAM to 128, but it clearly says that it only has 0 MB. I also thought that it should get past the Quartz Extreme card issue. What can I do to resolve this?

2. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

We do not support any 3D acceleration inside mac OS virtual machine. Unfortunately it is not possible to fix because the API to make 3D accelerated vide-drivers for mac OS is property of Apple and has no public interfaces.

3. viola

viola Hunter

Then why to so many games work with seeming 3D acceleration?

4. alexg

There is software 3D acceleration made by Apple inside mac OS. But you can see Maps application as an example which doesn't work with software acceleration and requires hardware acceleration via driver.

5. viola

viola Hunter

Hasn't anyone tried to reverse the API to allow such support?

6. alexg

:) This project for the years...

7. viola

viola Hunter

Similar to how ZFS on mac os x reports that it is HFS+, Parallels should be able to find out what flags are necessary and then set them for the app(s). I don't even think a full blown driver would be necessary. Reminds me of the work that these smart guys doing here.

8. alexg

Those guys are smart but it is useless for us. Parallels Desktop is hardware emulator. It is another way to run something on something. And mac OS need to have 3D hardware accelerated driver in our case. No way to proceed further...

9. chuckkahn

chuckkahn Junior Member

Any progress on this? I'm running into the same issue on a 2011 MacBook Pro but with virtual machine OS 10.7.5.

Would this work on a newer Mac with more RAM and a better GPU allowing more resources for the virtual machine?

viola likes this.
  10. viola

viola Hunter

This is a nightmare. It's such a critically needed function.

11. chuckkahn

chuckkahn Junior Member

viola likes this.
  12. ParallelsU130

ParallelsU130 Member

This sounds (though to their shame, the Parallels staff haven't bothered to tell me so :mad: ) like the answer to why 95% of Photoshop CS6 works in the VM, but 3D rendering and lighting effects rendering do not. Another user has tried to explain it to me, but the answer was a tad too technical for me.

13. viola

viola Hunter

Has this situation improved with Parallels 14 release that has OpenGL 3.3 support? Does it also help the video situation in macOS guests like this?

14. danh10

danh10 Bit poster

Does anyone know if upgrading to the Parallels Professional version would address the VRAM situation? Their promo pieces suggest it supports up to 128Mb of VRAM
    I know that my current hardware will support Final Cut 7, because I ran it on this machine when I was running an older systems... But the virtual copy of that older system doesn't recognize the VRAM or Quartz when I try to install it on the Virtual copy of OS 10.8.5.

15. viola

viola Hunter

This would be nice to know. It sure would be great if Parallels could address some of these older issues since they're still important. And now with Apple doing its bullshi† with removing 32-bit from Catalina, a lot of us are going to need to run Mojave and previous versions at FULL graphical acceleration.

16. ReinerR4

ReinerR4

same issue here, just found something from the xquartz.com maybe this helps...