Fans, heat and suspend mode

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jkneen, Mar 7, 2007.

1. jkneen

jkneen Member

I've been using build 3186 without any problems so far. It's definitely improved the suspend/resume feature for me. I was getting the odd lock up on resuming on previous builds. This one is more responsive and and most of the time resumes almost instantly which is good.

I have managed to reproduce an issue though with resuming and the network card. If I have the default network card set for the VM and usually I'm wired in the office but occasionally and when I'm wireless and I'm not (yet) connected to a wi-fi network when I resume I can get a message saying the network card is not ready. Usually and consistently the machine fails to resume and has to be restarted.

I also noticed with 3186 that my MPB seemed to kick the fans in a lot more as if CPU usage and heat was higher with 3186. This could have a LOT to do with the fact that I have Office 2007 and Windows Search which tends to kick in when I'm in mac mode (like now) and my Windows CPU goes up as a result.

Of course when I go back to the machine the indexing is paused - not really sure what it's indexing though since it should be up to date! Currently I'm running at 90% CPU on windows and 64 degrees as my temp. My fans are on at 4730 RPM

I'm using iCyclone at the moment which seems a lot better than SMCfancontrol and other apps. It actually does seem to keep the noise down and the macbook cool.

59 degrees now, indexing must be finishing.

Anyway, 3186 is working well for me, sorry it's not working for others as well. I'm now looking forward to the first beta with 3D working so I can get smoother windows etc.

Jason