FC6 host will not compile parallels

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by qwertyu, Jan 23, 2007.

1. qwertyu

qwertyu Bit poster

I have kernel-devel installed as well as compat-libstdc++, a link for libXft.so.1 and cannot get it to compile.
    The end of the error file reads:

make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.19-1.2895.fc6-i686'
    CC [M] /usr/lib/parallels/drivers/drv_net/linux/prlnet.o
    /usr/lib/parallels/drivers/drv_net/linux/prlnet.c: In function ‘prlnet_recv’:
    /usr/lib/parallels/drivers/drv_net/linux/prlnet.c:884: error: ‘CHECKSUM_HW’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    /usr/lib/parallels/drivers/drv_net/linux/prlnet.c:884: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    /usr/lib/parallels/drivers/drv_net/linux/prlnet.c:884: error: for each function it appears in.)
    /usr/lib/parallels/drivers/drv_net/linux/prlnet.c: In function ‘hw_bind’:
    /usr/lib/parallels/drivers/drv_net/linux/prlnet.c:1011: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘get_wireless_stats’
    /usr/lib/parallels/drivers/drv_net/linux/prlnet.c:1023: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
    make[4]: *** [/usr/lib/parallels/drivers/drv_net/linux/prlnet.o] Error 1
    make[3]: *** [_module_/usr/lib/parallels/drivers/drv_net/linux] Error 2
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.19-1.2895.fc6-i686'
    make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/parallels/drivers/drv_net/linux'
    make[1]: *** [vmbridge] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/parallels/drivers'
    make: *** [build] Error 2

2. ISI Guy

ISI Guy Bit poster

I have Parallels installed on Fedora Core 6. I used the RPM package and used the --nodeps parameter to get it to install. Otherwise, a dependency issue won't let you continue.

ex.) rpm -Uvh --nodeps parallels.rpm

Hope this helps.

3. qwertyu

qwertyu Bit poster

fixed!

I have found the answer. The install was easy to figure out:
    rpm -ivh --nedeps Parallels*.rpm

The problem I was having was with the compiling process from running parallels-config.
    I found an adequate answer in this post: http://forum.parallels.com/thread6035.html

It requires altering the code at line 884 and commenting out 2 lines at about line 1014 in /usr/lib/parallels/drivers/drv_net/linux/prlnet.c.

From thread 6035:

On line 884 you should found:
    Code:
    int do_csum = skb->pkt_type == PACKET_OUTGOING && skb->ip_summed == CHECKSUM_HW
    replace it with
    Code:
    #ifndef CHECKSUM_NW
    int do_csum = skb->pkt_type == PACKET_OUTGOING && skb->ip_summed == CHECKSUM_COMPLETE;
    #else
    int do_csum = skb->pkt_type == PACKET_OUTGOING && skb->ip_summed == CHECKSUM_HW
    #endif

and

On line 1014 you should found:
    Code:
    if (hw->proto.dev->get_wireless_stats)
    I don't have any wi-fi chipsets on my laptop and I've commented this if.
    Probably if you have wi-fi chipsets you should search other solutions.

The line he shows and the one that follows it should be commented out.

In both cases it is because of changes in kernel code. The former case is described in thread 6035. In the latter case it is because the include file wireless.h has the get_wireless_stats function removed (as shown in the notes in the file). I assume the functionality it provides is given in other ways, but I did not and will not be trying to figure it out because I don't do wireless now or in the forseeable future.
    The next issue I had was that after compile, the hypervisor module would not load because it was of an "incompatable format".As it turned out, I had the i686 kernel-devel package installed and it wanted the i586 devel package as well. Recompiled and now all is happy.
    I have seen other threads where FC6 users seemed to have little trouble. Did these users upgrade from a previous version of Fedora so they have files that parallels-config can use to make it work? I am using a clean install.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  4. kkjensen

kkjensen Bit poster

Could you guys give me some pointers on getting the FC6 kernel source to install? I've got FC6 working very well on my machine (for about 2 months) but have never had to do anything with a kernel before and can't figure out how to get parallels-config to work as it keeps coming up with the "Unable to find linux kernel source". I've followed several howtos to get the kernel source, and I "think" I've got it on the machine and installed but parallels-config still won't work.

Do I need to make some sort of link between a recognized kernel source and the one that I have? Pardon my throwing-around of lingo I don't completely understand but this rebooting every time I need to use a windows app is a bit silly.

FYI: I did to the --nodeps for the parallels install.

If I can post any results of my install/running efforts to help out, just let me know.

A million thanks in advance!

5. qwertyu

qwertyu Bit poster

Install kernel-devel package:
    yum -y install kernel-devel

If it says it is already installed, it means that you have a link to outdated kernel sources in the modules directory. It seems that parallels-config follows the first one it finds, which is for a smaller (older) kernel version.

The link is in /lib/modules/<kernel version number>. If there is a link to the devel package for your current kernel, delete it in older kernel version directories. It is called "build" and there is another one called "source" that points to build.

If you don't know how to make a soft link, type:
    man ln

A hiint. ln -s </path/file> <link name>

Note: The link to kernel sources must also be for the kernel that is running when you run parallels-config. Find out with "uname -a".

6. romracer

romracer Bit poster

Attached Files: