Fedora 25 black screen after installation of Parallels Tools

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by LeoB2, Nov 23, 2016.

1. RafaelK

RafaelK Bit poster

Here's my patch for the tools kernel modules for kernel 4.9.x (4.9.3 is in updates for f25)

Also on gist here: https://gist.github.com/rkitover/3c524cfe7c81a4a0bee286acd15f3714

diff -ruN orig/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/inode.c new/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/inode.c
    --- orig/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/inode.c 2016-11-15 02:37:25.000000000 -0800
    +++ new/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/inode.c 2017-01-18 02:18:08.000000000 -0800
    @@ -383,7 +383,7 @@
    }

static int prlfs_rename(struct inode *old_dir, struct dentry *old_de,
    - struct inode *new_dir, struct dentry *new_de)
    + struct inode *new_dir, struct dentry *new_de, unsigned int dummy)
    {
    void *np, *nbuf;
    int nbuflen;
    diff -ruN orig/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c new/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c
    --- orig/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c 2016-11-15 02:37:25.000000000 -0800
    +++ new/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c 2017-01-18 04:12:59.589410907 -0800
    @@ -478,10 +478,17 @@

down_read(&current->mm->mmap_sem);
    /* lock userspace pages */
    +#if LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(4, 9, 0)
    + got = get_user_pages(
    + sbuf->u.Va, npages,
    + sbuf->Writable ? FOLL_WRITE : 0,
    + uple->p, NULL);
    +#else
    got = get_user_pages(
    sbuf->u.Va, npages,
    sbuf->Writable, 0,
    uple->p, NULL);
    +#endif
    up_read(&current->mm->mmap_sem);

if (got < npages)

2. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Same here. Xorg eating 185% of CPU resources, running 12.1.3 (41532). Fedora 25 is running kernel 4.9.5-200 and Xorg X11 server 1.19.1-2. Needless to say the heavy load is causing delayed refreshes, like you used to see in Win95. lol

3. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Unsure if these are related (or a clue), but also seeing:
    1. Two sets of screen icons: Standard Home, Network (alternate says 'Computer'), Trash and Drives, as well as anything added to the Desktop folder. One set actually works and are smaller than the others (presumably the Nautilus ones) that don't work. Only way to make the bad ones go away is to switch them off in Tweak Tool.
    2. There's also been a recent issue with RPC Bind at boot up the past couple of kernels, but noticed that in Fedora 24 as well. This might just be a configuration issue on my end tho.

4. KyleG

KyleG Bit poster

So if I am reading this correctly, the most recent version of Parallels Tools works with Wayland on Fedora 25. Is that correct?

5. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Depends upon what you define "works". It's not a black screen and displays something, but not entirely correctly and Xorg is eating resources like a racehorse. Kinda like saying your car runs, but you need to stop every block to keep it from overheating and one or two of the plugs are misfiring.

I've not stopped using 24 and will most likely be running it in parallel to 25 until I know 25 is 100%.

6. KyleG

KyleG Bit poster

Hey I've OWNED that car! :) Thanks for the feedback.
    I'm using Fedora 25 with the Fedora 24 Xorg stack. Nothing is broken with that so far that I can tell.

Mark Fine likes this.
  7. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

I'd do that too, but it will annoy me to no end having dnf constantly remind me there's an update to Xorg.

8. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Follow-up:
    Following a recent update of Xorg drivers and Nemo, I'm beginning to think there's an instability problem between them and P-Tools (and the fact that 25 really wants to run on Wayland).
    1. I turned off all screen icons from tweak tools, and rebooted.
    2. After reboot, went in an switched screen icons back on and rebooted again.
    3. Screen now had a single set of normal-sized Home, Network, Trash, etc. icons., except when you double click on one of them you get an error.
    4. Rebooted again with screen icons still enabled - Nemo crashes (taking all your Gnome extensions with it)
    5. Back to step #1, rinse, repeat.

All the while, at least one virtual CPU is running at 100% with another at 70-80% (for Xorg).

9. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Followup: Now back to black screen on kernel 4.9.11. This is becoming tedious.

Rich_Deeming likes this.
  10. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Followup2:
    If you can Ctrl-Opt-F2 into a non-graphical interface, run dnf (sudo dnf update --refresh). Updating the beast seems to fix the black screen for now.
    Not sure what was in the last set: an x11 wacom driver, selinux, kf5, whatever (although I suspect selinux)... chalk it up to Ripley's.

11. RainerS1

RainerS1 Member

Yes, parallel tools don't support Fedora 25, current updates, well. Linux support in Parallels is disappointing. The only distro that works well is Ubuntu.

12. AlbertoP2

AlbertoP2 Bit poster

Hi. I have just upgraded another F24 VM to Fedora 25, now with current last release which solved my problems with previous guest. I found that after upgrading, I needed to deinstall and install againg Paralleles Tools just because blanck screen was again there. After doing that as I expected, it worked again and my other F24 machine is now F25.
    Just to let know here that I'm facing the exact same 180% CPU consumption by Xorg. That was just a issue I did not notice in my previous machine, but I've checked behaviour is the same in both F25 guests. So really there are still problems with Parallels and F25. As I understand from previous posts, this seems to be a issue for all those who upgraded to F25.

13. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Unrelated, but there's another issue with F25, which is actually a problem with the 4.9 kernel in general. Not sure anyone's reported it, but it kernel-ooops on boot up. I first noticed this on F24 and thought nothing of it until I looked at the backtrace. It thinks the prl module is "tainting" it.

14. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Never mind 4.9.x. F25 now updates to 4.10.5, which completely breaks Parallels Tools.

15. AlbertoP2

AlbertoP2 Bit poster

Same issue here, after upgrading to 4.10 kernel, Parallel Tools is not able to build the DKMS packages. Needed to boot with 4.9 kernel and manually reinstall parallel tools to get my Gnome desktop working again.

16. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

From a related thread:
    Isolating the line in prl_fs/inode.c:
    .readlink = generic_readlink,
    then doing:
    dkms build parallels-tools/12.1.3.41532
    dkms install parallels-tools/12.1.3.41532
    and rebooting fixes it.

Also, adding "devices.usb.mouse=2" to the boot flags in the VM hardware boot order options fixes the Xorg processing issue.

17. AlbertoP2

AlbertoP2 Bit poster

Thanks, Mark. Your recommendations solved both problems for me. Xorg is not 180% CPU consumption, and Parallel-Tools are working with 4.10 kernel.
    Just removing the ".readlink = generic_readlink," line in /usr/src/parallels-tools-12.1.3.41532/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/inode.c and executing dkms build and install commands got my Gnome desktop working again.
    Thanks!

18. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

All credit goes to rkulikov, who provided the info.

19. RainerS1

RainerS1 Member

Could you explain this for noobs like me. I've edited the file, but now when I try to run dkms build ... I get the info: Module parallels-tools/12.1.3.41532 already built for kernel 4.10.6-200.fc25.x86_64/4
    Thanks for any help!

20. RainerS1

RainerS1 Member

After trying two hours to solve this with the hints given in this and similar threads: I must say it's absurd that Parallels has no way to provide updated tools within a few days, just make a download location wtf and check it on each install! All that is needed is to delete a single line??? Wtf, why is that not trivial to do??? It is absurd to give tips to edit a file that is only available on a read only media and not give any indication how to get this editable... Why is there no way to decompress the cd and install from there? This is really idiotic!

christian.vrl likes this.