Fedora 6 Host Install woes

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by schotty, Nov 26, 2006.

1. schotty

schotty Bit poster

Hello,

I have Zod installed and am having issues getting the darn thing going. I used --nodeps to force the rpm in (which I despise doing, please guys fix that dep) and I appear to need to run parallels-config. Thats where things go south fast. I have the sources for the kernel (as well as the bazillion patches) and untarred the bzip in //usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/2.6.18/ but parallels-config doesn't see it there. what parameter will I need to pass to inform parallels-config that the source is somewhere its not expecting?

Thanks!
    Andrew

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

You could try copying your kernel source into /usr/src.

3. schotty

schotty Bit poster

I symlinked it and that did seem to help. However it appears that I need to do a quick /configure && make && make modules to get parallels to find a file or so that it is looking for.

Thanks, its compiling now and I will report back with any successes / failures and a quick summary of what I did so others can more easily replicate my successes.

4. email@u.washington.edu

email@u.washington.edu Bit poster

I was able to get it to work with:

#ln -s /usr/lib/libXft.so.2 /usr/lib/libXft.so.1
    #ln -s /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5
    #rpm -ihv --nodeps Parallels-2.2.2112-lin.i386.rpm
    #parallels-config

Loading Parallels Workstation 2.2 vmvirtualnic ...
    /usr/lib/parallels/autostart/prl_dhcpd: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5: version `CXXABI_1.2' not found (required by /usr/lib/parallels/autostart/prl_dhcpd)
    /usr/lib/parallels/autostart/prl_dhcpd: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5: version `GLIBCPP_3.2' not found (required by /usr/lib/parallels/autostart/prl_dhcpd)
    Parallels Workstation has been successfully configured

Now, you can run parallels.

5. email@u.washington.edu

email@u.washington.edu Bit poster

Slight adjustment of procedure for installing Parallels on Fedora 6

#su
    (root password)
    #ln -s /usr/lib/libXft.so.2 /usr/lib/libXft.so.1
    #rpm -ihv compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-61.i386.rpm

The second one is for the missing library (i.e. libstdc++.so.5)mentioned in the config in the previous reply:

/usr/lib/parallels/autostart/prl_dhcpd: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5: version `CXXABI_1.2' not found (required by /usr/lib/parallels/autostart/prl_dhcpd)
    /usr/lib/parallels/autostart/prl_dhcpd: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5: version `GLIBCPP_3.2' not found (required by /usr/lib/parallels/autostart/prl_dhcpd)

After you link and add the library, you can install parallels:

#rpm -ihv --nodeps Parallels-2.2.2112-lin.i386.rpm
    #parallels-config

Good Luck!
    Art Roberts

Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  6. efdavila

efdavila Bit poster

This worked for me on Fedora 6. Thanks.