Fedora Core 8 display resolution problem

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by BryanH, Nov 9, 2007.

1. BryanH

BryanH Bit poster

I've installed Parallels 5540 on Leopard, then installed Fedora Core 8. The install seems to have gone fine, but I'm having problems with screen resolution. The parallels window cuts off the bottom of the Fedora display, and I can't get the display configuration dialog to work. Attempting to run system-config-display gives the following message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/share/system-config-display/xconf.py", line 381, in <module>
    dialog=xConfigDialog.XConfigDialog(hardware_state, xconfig, rhpxl.videocard.VideoCardInfo())
    File "/usr/share/system-config-display/xConfigDialog.py", line 533, in __init__
    self.state.recalc_mode()
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/rhpxl/xhwstate.py", line 387, in recalc_mode
    self.colordepth = availableDepth[-1]
    IndexError: list index out of range

I'm not a Linux guru, so I'm not sure where to start poking around. Any suggestions on how I can get my display resolution set? BTW, I've created a custom display size of 1600x1200 in the vm configuration that I'd like to use.

2. BryanH

BryanH Bit poster

I managed to "fix" the problem with the bottom of the screen getting cut off by manually editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf

The Display subsection of the Screen section did not have any Modes defined. I added 1600x1200 and now I can see the bottom of the screen in the parallels window, but it's not in 1600x1200, and system-config-display still gives the same error.

3. BryanH

BryanH Bit poster

A little more progress. I reverted back to my original xorg.conf and installed Parallels Tools. The display came up in 600x800 and manually editing xorg.conf to be 1600x1024 works well for running in windowed mode. Dynamic resolution is not working.

4. schwartz

schwartz Member

I"ve noticed the same thing. This last weekend I played with a few linux distros to figure out which one I liked better in parallels. Centos 5 and Ubuntu 7.10 worked great. When I installed parallels tools the mouse behavior worked and the dynamic screen resolution worked. For Fedora 8 the mouse function is there but the dynamic screen resolution doesn't work.

Is there a fix for parallels tools in the pipeline?

Bill

5. supermario

supermario Bit poster

I encountered the same issue with Fedora 8. Without installing Parallels Tools, I added the following 'Modes' line to the 'SubSection "Display" of /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Code:
    Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device "Videocard0"
        DefaultDepth 24
        SubSection "Display"
            Viewport 0 0
            Depth 24
            Modes "1360x768"
        EndSubSection
    EndSection

Hope this helps.

6. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

I tried a hybrid of the above i.e. put the resolutions into Parallel Tools' xorg.conf file. It didn't work either....I can't select any resolutions.

7. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello all,

Thank you for your reports. Parallels team is aware of the issue and working hard to fix it.

The current workaround is modifying xorg.conf file, just as supermario advised. However we suppose that 1024x768 instead of 1360x768 should go better.

jimcoyle, if this does not work for you, please provide us with some additional information by sending xorg.conf and /var/log/xorg.0.log files of your Guest OS.

Best regards,
    Xenos

8. schwartz

schwartz Member

Does the final release of Parallels 3.0 (Dec 5th release) resolve the dynamic resize issues with Fedora Core 8?

9. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello schwartz,

Our tests prove that the build 5582 provides dynamic window resize for Linux Guests including Fedora Core 8.

Best regards,
    Xenos

10. BryanH

BryanH Bit poster

I just did:

clean install of 5582
    clean install of Fedora Core 8
    applied the Fedora updates
    installed Parallels Tools

Dynamic display resolution is not working.

11. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

Thank you for your reports again. Our QA team has reproduced the bug with Fedora Core 8 dynamic display resolution. Working hard to fix it. Our deepest apologies...

Best regards,
    Xenos

12. schwartz

schwartz Member

Any eta on the display fix for fedora 8?

thanks,
    Bill

13. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Bill,

Parallels developers are working on the issue and the fix is supposed to come with the next build. I am sorry I can not let you know if this build will be available before the end of the year as the time of release depends on a number of circumstances. The basic indeterminants here are: when developers will solve all the problems currently set and when QA team will check if everything works properly. I will keep you informed. We apologize for making you waiting.

Best regards,
    Xenos

14. schwartz

schwartz Member

It looks like the 3384 that came out recently doens't yet address this problem?

15. BryanH

BryanH Bit poster

Assuming you really meant 5584 ... yep, it's still broken.

16. david.rowe

david.rowe Bit poster

I am just trying out 5584 on various Linux distributions. So far, the situation seems to be the same as for 5582:

Fedora 8 does NOT dynamically resize - though apart from that it seems to work reasonably nicely.
    Mandriva 2008 similar to Fedora.
    Ubuntu 7.10 DOES dynamically resize
    Linux Mint 4 similar to Ubuntu (not surprising as it is based on Ubuntu)

Most Linux distributions still seem to need special measures to get the distribution installed and to get the parallels tools installed.

17. schwartz

schwartz Member

Centos 5 and Ubuntu 7.10 worked great. just a stock install and then add the parallels tools. dynamic resizing and everthing works great.

Fedora 8 stock install worked great except for the dynamic resize. Unfortunately this is the one I want to dabble with.

18. ayrton

ayrton Bit poster

I am having this problem as well, but with an additional quirk. If I edit xorg.conf, I get get the screen resolution to change just fine. However, when I enter full screen mode, strange things start to occur. The keyboard will behave erratically (e.g. if I type a letter, it will repeat three or four times for no reason), and then it will suddenly freeze. I can ctrl+alt+delete and send it back to the login screen, but there's no other way to unfreeze it.

19. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello all,

Ayrton, thank you for your report. I have asked our engineers to reproduce the issue with keyboard. Will keep you informed.

Best regards,
    Xenos

20. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

Ayrton, please try the following to eliminate the erratic keyboard behavior:

On Fedora menu bar click System -> Preferences -> Personal -> Keyboard Accessibility Preferences. Increase Delay rate and decrease Speed rate.

Best regards,
    Xenos